Moving to adult social care

Some young people with SEND living in Warwickshire will need social care support as an adult. The Transitions Team will work with you to see if you are eligible for support from Adult Social Care.

  • age 16 – 17: if you don’t have a social worker, you can get an assessment from children’s social care
  • age 18 – 25: if you don’t have a social worker, you can get an assessment from adult social care

Some people that get adult social care services pay towards the cost of their support.

The transition from children’s to adult social care

We will refer you to a transition worker at age 16. Your transition worker will assess you to see what help you’ll need when you turn 18. They’ll make sure this help is in place. Your help will stay the same until the new support is in place. If you receive support from adult social care, by law, we can charge for this service. For more information please see the social care charges.

Your transition worker may work with you, or they may refer you to a specialist team, depending on your needs.

If you have an EHC plan, you’re more likely to need support when you turn 18. Your transition worker will work with children’s social care and education services to write your EHC plan. They will also go to your EHC plan reviews to check you’re still getting the right help.

Important information

Here are some things you need to know about when you are transferring to or beginning to receive support from Adult Social Care.

More help and information

Feedback on SEND Local Offer