Applying for a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass


If you are not old enough to qualify for an Older Person’s Pass but you have a qualifying disability which is long term (meaning it lasts 12 months or more) then you are entitled to a concessionary bus pass. Children over the age of five who have a qualifying disability will also be eligible.

Disabilities which may qualify someone for bus pass are:

  1. Blind or partially sighted (able to register as sight impaired or severely sight impaired)
  2. Profoundly or severely deaf (hearing level at 70dBHL or worse in both ears)
  3. Without speech
  4. Has a disability, or has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on ability to walk
  5. No arms, or no use of both arms
  6. Learning disability – significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  7. Would be refused a driving licence (other than because of the misuse of alcohol or drugs)

In Warwickshire, anyone who holds a Blue Badge (Disabled Parking Badge) can currently use it to show that they have a qualifying walking disability (category d).

If you apply under category g we may tell the DVLA that you are not eligible to hold a driving licence on medical grounds.

The legislation does not include mental health problems as a qualifying disability. However, if mental health problems are so severe that someone would be refused a driving licence then they may be able to apply under category g.

Find out more about using your pass.

If you already have a bus pass then find out how to get it renewed, get it replaced, or get your details updated.

Qualifying disabilities – evidence needed

It is important to note that not everyone with a disability would qualify for a bus pass.

  1. Info sheet category a – Blind or partially sighted
  2. Info sheet category b – Profoundly or severely deaf
  3. Info sheet category c – Without speech
  4. Info sheet category d – Ability to walk
  5. Info sheet category e – No arms or have long term loss of the use of both arms
  6. Info sheet category f – Learning disability
  7. Info sheet category g – Refusal of a driving licence

If you are unable to provide the evidence listed in our information sheets, you can ask a medical professional to complete one of our Evidence Forms:

You will also need to provide evidence of your date of birth and address. We will accept:

Date of birthAddress
Driving licenceDriving licence
PassportCouncil Tax bill – current tax year
EU National Identity CardGas or electricity bill – less than three months old
Optical or medical prescriptionLandline telephone bill – less than three months old
Birth certificate in current nameWater bill – less than three months old
Birth certificate in previous name, plus proof of name changeOfficial receipt for rent, or tenancy agreement – less than three months old
NHS medical card

We do not accept bank statements as proof of address.

How to apply

There is no charge for the first issue of a concessionary travel pass.

If your bus pass does not arrive, then you must notify us and request a replacement within six weeks of your request, otherwise you will be changed for a replacement.

In person

You can visit one of our one stop shops to complete your application in person.

You do not need to complete a form if you are applying in person. We will complete your application during your visit and take your photograph free of charge. You will need to bring documents proving your age, address and qualifying disability.

By post

If you are unable to apply in person, you will need to apply by post by completing the application form.

Please send the application form, a passport photo, photocopies of the relevant evidence and qualifying disability to:

Concessionary Travel Team
P.O. Box 43
Barrack Street
CV34 4SX

Please do not send originals as we cannot accept responsibility for their safe return.

Applying for a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass was last updated on November 8, 2018.