- Service area
- Public transport
- Concessionary travel
- Publication detail
The England National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) is operated by Warwickshire County Council on behalf of the government.
Concessionary Travel is a statutory duty for Warwickshire County Council. The Council has been responsible for the management and administration of free off-peak local bus travel to the eligible residents of Warwickshire since April 2011.
In addition to the Member-approved policy, there are a number of operational business rules which we follow. These are summarised in ENCTS in Warwickshire – Policy Summary (PDF, 72 KB).
Eligibility is set by central government and is either based on your age or qualifying disability.
- Older Person’s Pass – eligibility dates (PDF, 73 KB)
- Guidance to local authorities on assessing eligibility of disabled people in England for concessionary bus travel (PDF, 316 KB)
- Guidance on assessing the eligibility of Service Personnel and Veterans for the England National Concessionary Travel Scheme (PDF, 628 KB)
For information about eligibility on the grounds of a disability, please visit Free bus travel for disabled people
The concessionary travel scheme: valid until 31 March 2024
The scheme operates the statutory minimum, on behalf of central government, and provides free off-peak bus travel for all ENCTS passholders from 9.30am until 11pm on weekdays and all day on weekends and bank holidays.
It also provides the following discretionary enhancements for Warwickshire passholders, for
journeys starting within Warwickshire:
From 1 April 2023 - 31 July 2023
- free bus travel from 9am on weekdays
- free bus travel until midnight on weekdays
From 1 August 2023 - 31 July 2024
- free bus travel at any time for disabled person's pass holders
- free bus travel from 9am on weekdays for older person's pass holders
- free bus travel until midnight on weekdays for older person's pass holders
The original scheme was approved by Cabinet on 18 November 2010 and further decisions were taken on 22 November 2012 and 9 November 2017 to retain the discretionary 9am start time and midnight finish time on weekdays.
On 18 April 2023 Cabinet approved a 12 month trial to allow holders of disabled person's passes below state retirement age to travel at any time on weekdays and to retain the existing times for older person's pass holders.
On 13 July 2023 Cabinet approved the introduction of a Companion pass (also known as a +1 pass). It is intended to get this up and running for January 2024.
- Concessionary Travel Scheme definition 2023-24 - revised (PDF, 250 KB)
- Bus pass terms and conditions
Reimbursement of bus operators
- You may also be interested in
- Contact us