1. Free bus travel for older people

If you live in Warwickshire and were born, on or before 5 August 1953 you are eligible for a concessionary bus pass.

If you were born after 5 August 1953, check the age at which you become eligible by using the government’s GOV.UK state pension age checker which will also tell you when you will become eligible for a bus pass.

Please note that until November 2018 a man may be eligible before he reaches retirement age. This is due to the way in which the government is equalising pension ages for men and women.

The bus pass can be used for free off-peak bus travel in England.

If your main home is outside Warwickshire then you are not eligible for a Warwickshire bus pass.

Find out more about using your bus pass.

How to apply

The earliest you can apply for a bus pass is two weeks before you become eligible. Please note that passes are posted out via Royal Mail and can take up to two weeks to arrive.

To apply you will need to provide documents proving your age and your address.

Accepted documents:

Date of birthAddress
Driving licenceDriving licence
PassportCouncil Tax bill – current tax year
EU National Identity CardGas or electricity bill – less than three months old
Optical or medical prescriptionLandline telephone bill – less than three months old
Birth certificate in current nameWater bill – less than three months old
Birth certificate in previous name, plus proof of name changeOfficial receipt for rent, or tenancy agreement – less than three months old
NHS medical card

We do not accept bank statements. This evidence must be your residential address.

We cannot accept a postal-only, or a business addresses. Please contact us if you cannot provide one of the above.

If you are eligible you should receive your bus pass within two weeks of making your application. There is no charge for a bus pass when you apply for the first time.

In person

You can visit one of our one stop shops to complete your application in person.

You do not need to complete a form if you are applying in person. We will complete your application during your visit and take your photograph free of charge. You will need to bring documents proving your age and your address (table above).

By post

If you are unable to apply in person, you can apply by post by completing the application form.

Application for concessionary travel pass – older person’s pass (PDF, 61.89 KB)

Please send the application form, a passport photo and photocopies of the relevant evidence to:

CT Applications
Customer Service Centre
Warwickshire County Council
Shire Hall
CV34 4RL

Please do not send originals as we cannot accept responsibility for their safe return.

1. Free bus travel for older people was last updated on January 16, 2018.