The works at Northgate are now complete and all roads reopened. The works carried out at Northgate complement the completed works along Priory Road, which included traffic calming measures, footway widening and the introduction of a cycle contraflow. Both schemes are within the 20mph zone put in place in 2017, which has since seen a reduction of speeds across the town centre.
The outstanding proposals could be delivered in the short to medium term (2-5 years) subject to further development work and securing necessary funding:
- Modifications to key town centre gateways such as Westgate and Eastgate junctions;
- Changes to Friars Street and Bowling Green Street junction;
- Modifications to Castle Lane to prevent/ significantly reduce rat running/ through traffic;
- One-way routing along High Street and Jury Street and The Butts;
- New crossing points;
- Improved cycle links;
- Priority signals for buses and reduced street clutter.