Access to personal information

You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold.

Adoption records

If you have an adoption records enquiry, visit the following website:

Past information about family members

Our records office may hold past information about family members. For more information visit County Record Office and family records.

School record

If your request is for a pupil school record, you will need to apply directly to the school. Find out more at the following page schools finder.

For all other requests including access to CCTV images, read the following guidance, then go to the next section ‘how to make a request’.

We ask that you give as much detail as possible to identify your records, such as:

  • your full name and current address
  • contact email and phone numbers
  • any previous names and contact addresses
  • the service you received from the council
  • date of birth
  • proof of identity.

Proof of identity must be two official documents which show your date of birth, name and current address. These include:

  • current drivers licence
  • current passport
  • utility bill
  • council tax bill

We can’t accept birth certificates. Please do not send original documents. Good quality copies are adequate if you are uploading using the online form or sending by post – note we will not return these.

If you wish, you can appoint someone you trust to act on your behalf. If you are applying to see someone else’s records you will need to enclose their signed permission or other legal documentation (for example parental rights or power of attorney) to confirm their request.

Please describe the information that you are looking for. For example:

  • adult social care record
  • child social care record
  • CCTV in council premises 
  • HR record if a past/current employee