Changes to working practice during Covid-19 lockdown
During the current national lockdown due to Covid-19, we are continuing to do all we can to support our customers, many of whom are vulnerable.
Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to offer any face to face contact and will be working remotely. WEST job groups are closed to all customers and will re-open when it is deemed safe to do so, in line with Warwickshire County Council guidance. We are continuing to check the welfare of our customers on a regular basis via telephone, e-mail and teams.
We are still taking referrals for adults with autism, and/or learning disabilities who live in Warwickshire and who are not receiving any other employment support, as well as offering vocational profiling and job searching support via telephone, e-mail and teams.
Warwickshire Employment Support Team (WEST)
WEST is a countywide service for people with a learning disability or who are on the autistic spectrum, who want to work. We help them to find full-time or part-time work in the public and private sector.
We will help people with a learning disability, autism or Aspergers Syndrome to access and keep up with paid work. We offer:
- expertise on disability employment and benefit issues
- personal profiling and job matching
- ongoing support to employers and employees
Recruitment and support
We specialise in recruitment and offer a professional service to employers who offer employment or work experience to people with learning disabilities and who are on the autistic spectrum or Asperger’s Syndrome. Our service includes:
- selective recruitment
- support with application forms
- support at a job interview
- one-to-one job coaching
- acting as an advocate for the customer with work-related issues
- full review of the effects of employment on customers’ benefits
- support permitted work through DWP
How it works
- Initial referral to WEST
- Assessment and vocational profiling by an employment officer
- Agree on a working contract between our service, customer and family/carer
- Allocation of a named key worker
- Create opportunities for employment
- Work in partnership with employers, customers, parents and carers
Who is eligible to use WEST?
To use WEST, customers must:
- be aged 18 years or above
- live in Warwickshire
- want to enter paid employment
- have a learning disability or autism