Speak to someone you know

If you’re worried about your child’s progress speak to:

  • your GP, or health visitor if your child isn’t in nursery or school
  • their nursery worker
  • their teacher.

They’ll be able to give advice on how and where to get extra help or support.

Dimensions of Health and Wellbeing

Dimensions of Health and Wellbeing is a free, online tool providing self-care information to support adults, children and young people in Coventry and Warwickshire. Self-care information is tailored to a person’s own needs and the challenges they face and is available 24/7.

View the online Dimensions Tool

Types of help

Every nursery and school has a special educational needs coordinator (SENCO). You can also talk to them. They are teachers who are trained to identify children with special educational needs and make sure they get all the help they need.

The help your child will get may include:

  • a special learning programme
  • extra help from a teacher or assistant – including help from a teacher who specialises in your child’s condition
  • working in a smaller group
  • help to take part in class activities
  • help to communicate with other children
  • a referral to the educational psychology service.

SEND support

Your child’s nursery, school, or college may create a SEND support plan. Many children and young people will get the help they need this way. Find out more about a SEND support plan.

Education, health and care (EHC) plan

An EHC plan may be an option if you need extra help.

Parents, teachers, doctors, health visitors, family friends and 16 to 25-year-olds themselves can all ask for an assessment.

Feedback on SEND Local Offer