Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Council tax, housing benefit and discretionary payments

Council Tax

Council tax is a local taxation system on domestic property. To pay your council tax bill or to find out if you could reduce your bill, you will need to contact your local borough or district council.

The amount of council tax you pay varies by authority, but it is based on the property band that is applied to your home. These bands are A to H in England.

Citizens Advice have information on council tax, including how to pay and how to check if you might be eligible for a discount or exemption:

Housing benefit

Most eligible people will now receive housing benefit through their universal credit rather than a separate housing benefit payment. A housing payment can help to pay your rent to a private landlord, a housing association or council housing. You may also be able to get some help towards the interest payments on a mortgage if you privately own.

If your housing payment does not cover all your rent, you may be able to get extra help for rent or other housing costs, such as a rent deposit or moving costs, from your local council. This is known as a discretionary housing payment.

A local housing allowance was introduced in April 2008 as a new way of calculating housing benefit for tenants who rent privately. It is based on the area you live and the number of people living in your household.

Find out more about housing benefits from Citizens Advice:

Directgov has a local housing allowance rates calculator:

Support from local councils

North Warwickshire Borough Council

Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council

Rugby Borough Council

Warwick District Council

Stratford-on-Avon District Council

Update cookies preferences