Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

To pay your council tax bill or find out if you could reduce your bill, you will need to contact your local district or borough council. Please see the full list of contacts below.

Who has to pay?

A Council Tax bill is issued for each household. It is usually payable by the owner-occupier or tenant, but the owner will be responsible if:

  • the property is empty
  • it is not anyone’s main home
  • the occupants are all under 18.

Property bands and charges

Council Tax relates to the value of each property, as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs’ Valuation Office Agency. Each home sits in one of eight valuation bands, based on the value of the property on the open market on 1 April 1991.

Council Tax bands and charges

Band Valuation at April 1991 Weighting
A Up to £40,000 6/9
B £40,001 to £52,000 7/9
C £52,001 to £68,000 8/9
D £68,000 to £88,000 9/9
E £88,001 to £120,000 11/9
F £120,001 to £160,000 13/9
G £160,001 to £320,000 15/9
H Over £320,000 18/9

Find out your valuation band

You can find out your council tax band on the following link: valuation band

Contact your local council

Update cookies preferences