Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Tenancies and rent

Tenancies come in different types. There are council, housing association and private sector tenancies, as well as agricultural tenancies.

Most council or housing association tenants will have a secure or assured tenancy after an initial qualifying period. These are usually lifetime tenancies and give you strong rights. Private tenancies may be fixed term or ‘assured shorthold’ which means the landlord has a legal right to regain possession after the initial fixed term period if they provide reasonable notice.

More information on the different types of tenancy is given below:

Renting from the council or a housing association

Some councils will have council properties as well as social housing available. Others do not hold any council properties but work with local social housing providers.

Check the relevant council site for the area that you wish to live in.

North Warwickshire Borough Council

Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council

Rugby Borough Council

Warwick District Council

Stratford-on-Avon District Council

Renting privately

There are different considerations if you wish to rent from a private landlord. The following information helps to guide you through your options.


An inventory will often be provided at the start of a new tenancy, particularly a private tenancy. Checking and signing the inventory can help to avoid disputes especially if you are paying a deposit.

The letting agent or landlord will draw up an inventory for when your tenancy starts, and this will be checked when you move out.

If they do not provide an inventory, you could arrange to draw one up with an independent inventory clerk.

The inventory will be an overview of the whole property, and a list of contents with details about their condition. It could include:

  • Walls, ceilings, floor
  • Paintwork
  • Carpets and curtains
  • Furniture and appliances, if applicable
  • Fittings such as cupboards
  • Windows and doors

It should also list smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors if they have been provided and are working.

Once checked, you can provide details and change anything that is wrong. You can also take photographs of anything such as a crack or mark not included in the inventory. Sign and date the inventory.

When living in the property, keep copies of any alterations or repairs you have made as well as a record of any damage to your belongings or health because of landlord repairs not being carried out.

Check the inventory when you move out. If there are disputes, these can be checked against copies kept. Wear and tear are not reasons for deductions to be made from your deposit. Your landlord would have to provide evidence to support any deductions made.

Rent Arrears

Help with rent or mortgage arrears and possible eviction can be found on page 7

If you are struggling with rent or mortgage arrears due to financial difficulties, please find support in our Money section.

Tenancy Ready Guide

North Warwickshire Borough Council have produced a useful tenancy ready guide to help prepare for the responsibilities associated with a new home. Whilst some information may be specific to North Warwickshire, the general information is applicable for all new tenants.

Update cookies preferences