Support for Service Leavers, Veterans and their Families

1. Finding a home

There are various options to finding a home:

Buying your own home

Buying a home can be a complicated process. There is lots of information to help you, such as:

  • Citizens Advice – housing options for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.
  • SSAFA – the Armed Forces charity have expert Housing Advisors who can offer impartial advice and guidance for those who have left the Armed Forces.
  • Moneyforce – information on buying a property.
  • Shelter – provide information for first time buyers covering the home-buying process, choosing a mortgage and the costs associated with buying a home.
  • Money Saving Expert – provide information for all buyers, with a free first time buyers guide, a mortgage finder and a stamp duty calculator.

Also see property websites such as Rightmove.

Housing schemes

Ex-Armed Forces personnel, within 12 months of discharge, in England and Wales have priority status with regards to Government affordable housing initiatives:

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) have the latest information on these schemes and can be contacted:

Social housing (also known as council housing)

Social housing is let at low rents on a secure basis to those who are most in need or struggling with their housing costs. Normally councils and not-for-profit organisations (such as Housing Associations) are the ones to provide social housing.

Access to social housing is through your local authority:

All of the above authorities have signed the Covenant and have altered their housing allocation policies to support the Armed Forces.

To be eligible you will need to be:

  • Currently serving in the Regular Forces, or who was serving in the Regular Forces at any time in the five years preceding an application for social housing.
  • A bereaved spouse, or civil partner of someone serving in the Regular Forces where the bereaved spouse or civil partner has recently had to leave, or will soon have to leave, Ministry of Defence accommodation following the death of their service spouse or civil partner in service.
  • A current, or former member of the Reserve Forces who is suffering from a serious injury, illness, or disability which is wholly or partly attributable to their service.

In an application, you need to tell the council:

  • That you have served in the Armed Forces.
  • If your current home is overcrowded.
  • If you have *medical problems, or a disability which means your current home is unsuitable.
  • If you are at risk of homelessness.
  • If you can’t afford a privately rented home.

*If you have medical problems,or a disability you may need to get letters from a doctor to support your application.

Further information:

  • Shelter – council housing.
  • Citizens Advice Housing options for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.
  • SSAFA the Armed Forces charity have expert Housing Advisors who can offer impartial advice and guidance for those who have left the Armed Forces.

Watch this video on YouTube

Watch this video on YouTube

Private renting

Private renting may be directly from the landlord, or a letting agent.

Letting agencies will charge fees for processing your paperwork and you will usually need to pay a deposit, often a month’s rent, and the first month’s rent in advance before moving in.

Speak to your local letting agents and let them know what you are looking for, so they can let you know when a suitable property becomes available. Also see property websites such as Rightmove.

Further information:

  • Shelter (Private renting) provide detailed independent information about privately renting a home, including understanding tenancy agreements, rights and responsibilities, costs of renting and dealing with problems.
  • Moneyforce has guidance for those wanting to rent.

Sharing in a house of multiple occupation (HMO)

If you are single, then sharing a house with HMO may be a good option in terms of cost and availability. A house is a HMO if:

  • There is at least three tenants living there, forming more than one *household
  • There is a shared toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants.

*A household is either a single person, or members of the same family who live together.

Shelter re HMO provide information on renting in a HMO.

> Back to top

2. Coping with homelessness

No one plans to be homeless, but it can happen.

What to do if you’re homeless or at risk of becoming homeless

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless within the next 28 days you can ask your local authority (council) for help.

How much help you can get depends on your circumstances.

Council information:

If you qualify for help, the council will find you a place to stay while they assesses your application. This could be in a B&B or hostel. You may have to wait for longer-term housing.

If you don’t qualify for help from the council, they will help you to find somewhere else to stay.

Special consideration for those who are vulnerable

Special consideration may apply for those ex-service personnel who are considered to be vulnerable under the Homelessness legislation and guidance. Being vulnerable may result in you receiving additional support because you are considered to be a priority need.

A local authority (council) will consider:

  • How long you have been in the Armed Forces
  • The type of service
  • Any time spent in a military hospital
  • Whether the Armed Forces medical and/or welfare advisers consider you are vulnerable
  • How long it has been since you left the Armed Forces
  • What support networks are available.

It is really important when asking for special consideration as part of your homelessness application that you:

  • Make it clear to the Housing Officer that you are asking for special consideration under the Armed Forces Covenant
  • Explain how your experiences in service have resulted in you becoming vulnerable
  • Explain your specific medical needs, whether physical or mental health needs, as this may help them to find you suitable accommodation
  • Provide any original documentation you may have from Defence Medical Services, the MOD or NHS to support your application. This will include your service number and branch of service
  • Provide details of any support agencies such as SSAFA, the Royal British Legion or Veterans Contact Point who may be supporting you.

You can have someone to support you during a homelessness application. This can be an advocate from a support agency, or a member of your family, or a friend and if you need a break from the assessment say so.

Please note – special consideration can only be asked for, and is assessed on a case by case basis. It is not a right, or automatic entitlement.

Further support:

> Back to top

3. Access to NHS services

It’s important to register with a GP (General Practitioner) as soon as possible, especially if you are on any medication or continuing some other type of treatment or care.

You must give your F MED 133 Medical History on Release Form HM Forces to the practice you register with. If your doctor requires more of your medical information they can request it from:

Personnel Centre,
Secretariat Disclosure 3 (Medical)
MP 525, Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
G2 8EX

It is important to ensure that your GP surgery registers you on the NHS system as a veteran. The most commonly used codes are:

  • Xa8Da/ V2: 13JY: History Relating to Military Service
  • XaX3N / V2 : 13Ji Military veteran
  • 13WV: Dependant of former serving member of British Armed Forces.

These codes flag to the GP and other NHS services that you are a veteran or family member and, as such, can be supported through the Covenant. One aspect of this is, subject to clinical need, a member of the Armed Forces can be prioritised for treatment.

It is important to note that these codes will only kick in if your issue is related to military service. If not, the Armed Forces Covenant does not apply.

The Covenant states that Veterans receive their healthcare from the NHS, and should receive priority treatment where it relates to a condition which results from their service in the Armed Forces, subject to need.

Those injured in service, whether physically or mentally, should be cared for in a way which reflects the Nation’s moral obligation to them whilst respecting the individual’s wishes. For those with concerns about their health, where symptoms may not present for some time after leaving service, they should be able to access services with health professionals who have an understanding of Armed Forces culture.

Transferring NHS medical care from one area to another

If an immediate family member has been on a NHS waiting list for treatment (whether physical, mental or dental health treatment) in the area of your previous posting, the time spent on the waiting list will be taken into account when you register for treatment in this area.

This is because the NHS Constitution in England has been changed to embed the two key principles of the Armed Forces Covenant. Page 17 of the Handbook to the NHS Constitution states:

As part of this principle and in line with the Armed Forces Covenant, the NHS will ensure that members of the Armed Forces Community (including those serving, reservists, their families and veterans) are supported, treated equally and receive the same standard of, and access to healthcare as any other UK citizen in the area they live…… Families of serving personnel moving around the country, any time taken on an NHS treatment waiting list will be taken to account in their new location.

This principle applies to a final posting from the last place of service to a permanent new home.

If you do experience problems with transferring your NHS waiting list time, contact AFF Health and Additional needs Specialist at

Local authorities health and wellbeing services

Local authorities work to improve the health and wellbeing of its residents. Information on a range of health and wellbeing issues can be found:

> Back to top

4. Schools and learning

If you have children and are moving into the area you will need to register them with a school.

The Schools Admissions Code in England was changed in 2014 to support Service families, who can apply and be allocated a place before they move into an area. Children can be accepted mid-term and class sizes increased to beyond the normal maximum to accommodate them.

You can find out more on page 25 of the Schools Admissions Code.

Further information on schools:

Watch this video on YouTube

If your child has special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), the SEND Local Offer is there to support you.

> Back to top

5. Finding work

There are a number of organisations that have a commitment to employing and supporting members of the Armed Forces community. These organisations are part of the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme.

Cobseo also lists job vaccines for Armed Forces related organisations.

It can take a while to find suitable employment and a regular income. You may wish to consider claiming benefits in the interim.

Universal Credits is being introduced in stages across Great Britain by postcode area. Whether you can claim it and the way you manage your claim depends on where you live and your personal circumstances.

You may be able to get Universal Credit if you are:

  • 18 or over
  • Single
  • A couple or family living in certain areas
  • On a low income or unemployed
  • Not in full-time education or training.

Universal Credit: full service and live service – the full service is available in Rugby, Stratford-upon-Avon, Nuneaton and Bedworth. Coventry, Atherstone and Leamington Spa will be ready by the summer of 2018.

You can’t claim if you’ve three or more children and you’ve not claimed Universal Credit in the last six months. You may be entitled to claim existing benefits instead.

Service personnel who have served abroad are exempt from the three month residence requirement for claims for Universal Credit on arrival in the UK. Service spouses and partners and their adult children will be treated in the same way as returning service personnel and will be able to claim Universal Credit immediately on arrival in the UK.

If you’ve paid your National Insurance contributions in the two tax years before the current benefit year then you are entitled to Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA).

Support organisations

  • Job Centre Plus has initiatives that help current and former members of the Armed Forces and their families.
  • Universal Jobmatch is one of the largest job search sites in Europe and allows you to find jobs, upload your CV and keep track of your applications.
  • Career Transitions Partnership provides resettlement services for those leaving the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Marines. Support can be accessed up to two years from leaving the service.
  • RFEA is a Forces employment charity providing a job-finding service. They can offer help with your CV and interview techniques, training advice and finding a job.
  • The Officers Association can offer professional, impartial and practical help and advice to help ex-officers build their next career.
  • Civvy Street from the Royal British Legion aims to provide support and mentoring for everyone who has recently left the forces and is looking for employment, and the chance to use the skills they gained while serving.
  • British Forces Resettlement Services is a Social Enterprise created to help the Armed Forces Community with their transition into civilian life.
  • Veteran Employment Transition Support is a Social Enterprise that brings together charities, businesses and the MOD to improve employment outcomes for veterans, employers and the UK economy.
  • Remploy is an employment service specifically designed to support people with disabilities to find sustainable employment.
  • The Poppy Factory is a national employment charity for veterans with health conditions or impairments.
  • Future Horizons is open to all early Service Leavers across all services and regardless of how long you have served. The programme is designed to help you find the support you need to tackle the job market and find employment.
  • Sorted! is seven charities working together to provide a wide-range of employment services to the Armed Forces community.
  • Help for Heroes Career Recovery can help you to apply for work, maximise your skills and develop new ones.
  • National Careers Service can give personalised support to help you find a new career, identify your skills, build your CV and learn interview techniques.
  • Lifeworks – ex Armed Forces is a 4-5 day course tailored specifically towards helping ex-Armed Forces personnel secure the future they want.


Many people consider apprenticeships as being something for teenagers or young adults, however, it is now possible to do an apprenticeship at any age up to retirement.

An apprenticeship gives you both a qualification and experience by combining on the job training with study (usually one day a week) meaning you can earn while you learn. With some apprenticeships you can even get a degree.

It usually takes between one and four years to complete an apprenticeship depending on which level you take.

Apprenticeships are available across a wide range of industries and many high quality, prestigious companies offer them.

Further information:

  • Get In Go Far is focused on apprenticeships for young adults.
  • Find an Apprenticeship is a search facility to find an apprenticeship in a location of your choice.
  • The Apprenticeship Guide contains concise summaries of every apprenticeship framework offered in England, plus general careers advice, real life stories, employer advertising, a regional directory of training providers.
  • Guide to Higher and Degree Apprenticeships. There are around 75 different higher and degree apprenticeships from accounting to aerospace engineering. New apprenticeships are being developed all the time with more highly skilled apprenticeships popping up each year.


Finding a job doesn’t just mean finding paid employment. Volunteering can be a great way of supporting the move from the Armed Forces or from one type of work to another.

Volunteering can enable individuals to:

  • Meet new people
  • Develop new skills
  • Increase confidence
  • Boost employment prospects
  • Learn about other sectors of society
  • Develop a sense of purpose and meaning
  • Improve quality of life.

Further information:

> Back to top

6. Managing money

It is easy to be financially cocooned when in the Armed Forces, especially if you are living in service living accommodation, or service family accommodation.

Being or getting on top of your finances

Good money management is really important. From living within your means to saving for short and long-term goals, to having a realistic plan to pay off your debts, it all pays off.

It may seem time-consuming but it will save you money in the long run. Knowing how much money you have coming in and how much is going out is key to staying on top of your finances.

Further information:

Benefits and tax credits

There are various forms of benefits. There are independent benefits calculators to help you find out what benefits you could be entitled to, how to claim them.

The Royal British Legion’s Benefits, Debt and Money Advice Service provides free, confidential advice about benefits that you may be entitled to, assistance in making an appeal against a benefit decision and comprehensive advice for those in unmanageable debt.

Coping with debt

It’s important that if you’re in debt, or at risk of getting into debt, that you face up to the situation. Don’t be tempted to take out a payday loan or short term loan with an unlicensed money lender (loan shark).

There are a number of independent organisations that can help you excavate your way out of a debt situation.

  • SSAFA debt advice will let you know about qualified debt advisers working in your area. Once you have received specialist advice, SSAFA can then look for ways to help with any priority debts – these are debts where you are at risk of losing your home, or supplies of essentials such as – gas or electricity.
  • National Debtline (ND) are an independent charity, dedicated to providing free debt advice by phone and online to people across the UK.
  • Step Change Debt Charity are experts in helping people to manage and repay their debts.
  • Money Advice Service offer free advice and support online, in person and over the phone.
  • Citizens Advice has detailed and independent advice on managing all money issues including dealing with debt, mortgage and rent arrears, insurance, loans, pensions and banking.
  • The Royal British Legion’s Benefits, Debt and Money Advice Service provides free, confidential advice about benefits that you may be entitled to, assistance in making an appeal against a benefit decision and comprehensive advice for those in unmanageable debt.
  • Turn2us is a national charity that can help people access benefits, grants and support services if you are in financial hardship.


You may be eligible for an Armed Forces pension if you’re a current, or former member of the Armed Forces.

Veterans UK are responsible for the assessment, award, payment, and maintenance of all pensions relating to the Armed Forces. Pension forms are produced by Veterans UK.

It is important that you plan to have enough income in retirement. As well as your Armed Forces pension(s) you may be eligible for the State Pension.

Armed Forces and Reserve Forces pension schemes guidance booklets.

If you’ve been seriously injured during service

There are several Armed Forces Compensation Schemes available to serving and former serving personnel who are injured as a result of their service in the Armed Forces. The scheme that applies to each individual will depend on when and where you served.

The Royal British Legion can provide grants to serving and ex-service people and their dependants who are suffering financially.

> Back to top

7. Adjusting to life after the services

This can be a challenging time and involve a period of adjustment which can trigger a number of emotions from exhilaration to pain and anxiety. It may not just be you who is affected; it may also impact upon family and friends.

This change can be experienced, to a greater or lesser degree, as a form of loss, or bereavement as you move to developing a new sense of identity, or who you are outside of being a member of the Armed Forces. There can be a number of components to this loss:

  • Loss of identity, role and status – you no longer have your rank and job or career and may be unemployed.
  • Loss of team – you’re no longer working as part of a Unit, Ship, Establishment or Station fulfilling a specific task or set of orders or working to a particular function.
  • Loss of comradeship – you’re now outside the wire and may no longer have the social network you once had.
  • Loss of purpose – being part of the Armed Forces can be experienced as being part of something with a higher purpose which can contribute to actions on a national scale. This contribution to something bigger may no longer be available.


The change and transition from military to civilian life can bring about a range of emotions, including uncertainty, anxiety and feeling of a lack of control. It is important to note that these feelings are all natural for someone going through a significant change in his or her life.

Who you are

Being part of the Armed Forces you fulfill a variety of roles (armed conflict, peacekeeping, humanitarian, ceremonial). Once you leave you, are no longer part of the organisation and community. This change can be experienced as a form of ‘loss’ or ‘bereavement’.

A useful exercise in adjusting from a military to civilian identity is to answer the question – who am I? And try to generate up to 20 answers. If there is a lot of reference to the military in your answers, then you might want to look at what the civilian equivalent would be.

Another useful exercise is to recognise your values and what is important to you in life. There are lots of useful tools and exercises from Mind Tools.


Some ways in which the adjustment can be supported include:

  • Talking honestly and openly about what’s going on and how you feel with your spouse/partner and other significant family, or friends.
  • Encouraging and allowing your children to voice their concerns and finding ways to resolve them.
  • Developing or reviewing a plan for adjusting to being a civilian.
  • Maintaining structure and routine, especially if there are children involved.
  • Taking time out; doing something as a distraction from any anxieties or distresses.
  • Involving other people in supporting yourself and/or your family.
  • Looking after your health lifestyle; getting enough sleep, eating healthily, maintaining exercise programmes or developing new ones.
  • Challenge thoughts or feelings about being reluctant to ask for help. Recognise when you or your family may need help and go out and get it. If you were in a tight spot in your military role you wouldn’t think twice about asking for back up. Don’t think twice about it if you need to now.

Support organisations

These include:

  • Veterans Contact Point (VCP) is a local support group created and run by veterans for veterans and their families. Volunteers at the VCP can provide information, advice and referrals to a wide range of specialist organisations and charities.
  • Big White Wall is a safe online community of people who are anxious, down or not coping who support and help each other by sharing what’s troubling them, guided by trained professionals. Available 24/7, Big White Wall is completely anonymous so you can express yourself freely and openly. The Big White Wall is FREE for UK serving personnel, veterans and their families.
  • Family Information Services in Coventry, Solihull and Warwickshire.
  • Relate aim to help you understand what is going on in your relationship and change things for the better.
  • National Family Mediation is the largest provider of family mediation in England and Wales.
  • It’s good to talk has been designed by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy to help people find out more about counselling and psychotherapy, especially those who are considering therapy as an option for themselves or someone else.

> Back to top

8. Mental health issues

Whilst the majority of Service Leavers and Veterans have good mental health, are resilient and adaptable, there are some who experience difficulties with their mental health.

The most common mental health problems for ex-service personnel are:

Added to this can be alcohol and or drug misuse, where the individual use this as a way of coping with the emotions they are feeling.

There are a number of organisations who can provide help and support for those suffering from mental health problems, or those who are trying to support someone with a mental health problem.

  • Veterans Mental Health TIL Service staff include veterans and civilians with a range of highly relevant and professional experience.
  • Ex Armed Forces Mental Health Project has a dedicated Pathway Manager linking into Psychological Services.
  • Big White Wall is a safe online community of people who are anxious, down or not coping who support and help each other by sharing what’s troubling them, guided by trained professionals. Available 24/7, Big White Wall is completely anonymous so you can express yourself freely and openly. The Big White Wall is FREE for UK serving personnel, veterans and their families.
  • The Veterans and Reserves Mental Health Programme (VRMHP) provides assessment and treatment advice for veterans (who have deployed since 1982) and Reserves who have been deployed overseas since 1 January 2003 as a Reservist, and believe that their deployment may have affected their mental health.
  • Combat Stress is the UK’s leading veterans’ mental health charity.
  • Help for Heroes psychological wellbeing service, H4H Hidden Wounds, can help Veterans and Armed Forces families living with anxiety, depression, stress, anger or alcohol.
  • The Samaritans work to alleviate emotional distress and reduce the incidence of suicide feelings and suicidal behaviour.
  • Warrior programme is a 12 month structured support programme with an initial three/five day residential motivation and training programme for veterans and veteran’s families.
  • NHS Choices – drug addiction – information and advice about drug taking, getting help and support and understanding the effects of drugs.

> Back to top

Life after physical injury in the Armed Forces

Physical injury, whether through operations or training, can not only end a person’s career, but can also be life changing and life limiting. There are various ways in which an individual can be supported in order to make the most of the opportunities available to them.

Compensation schemes


Disablement Service Centres have been set up across England to provide specialist prosthetic and rehabilitation services.

Disabled facilities grants

Disabled facilities grants are available via your local housing authorities to fund adaptations to a disabled person’s home which enables them to live independently and comfortably.

Other sources of support

  • BLESMA The Limbless Veterans, is dedicated to assisting serving and ex-Service men and women who have suffered life-changing limb loss or the use of a limb, an eye or loss of sight.
  • Fry Housing Trust have an ex-Armed Forces supported accommodation scheme in Birmingham with 12 bed spaces, some of which are on the ground floor to address disability and mobility issues.
  • Blind Veterans UK provide vision impaired Armed Forces and National Service veterans with the person-centred services and tailored support they need to discover life beyond sight loss.
  • The RAF Benevolent Fund also has a Housing Trust, which provides 230 specialist houses to seriously injured, wounded and sick service personnel who have a medical discharge, where alternative housing provision cannot be sourced.
  • Royal British Legion Industries have a range of accommodation including Veterans housing.
  • Help for Heroes Band of Brothers network offers lifelong access to all the financial and welfare support from Help for Heroes as well as providing opportunities to meet others who are living through similar experiences.
  • Help for Heroes Band of Sisters is available to the loved ones of Veterans and Service Personnel who have suffered a permanently life-limiting or career-ending injury or illness during or attributable to service.
  • The Not Forgotten Association is a small, unique and highly personalised tri-service charity whose role is to provide entertainment and recreation for the benefit of the serving wounded, injured or sick and for veterans who suffer from a disability or illness.
  • Cobseo Housing Cluster have developed a Directory of Housing and Support Services for Veterans. This lists supported accommodation, general needs housing, floating support and day centre provision for ex-service personnel.

> Back to top

10. Veterans and the Criminal Justice System

If you, or a Veteran you know is in contact with Police, Courts, Prison, or Probation and is unsure of their options please contact Remember Veterans.

Funded by the Armed Forces Covenant they provide:

  • A confidential helpline service on 02476 348227 operating weekly (Monday to Friday 10:00am to 3:00pm and on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 6:30pm to 7:30pm).
  • Email support
  • A drop In service at the Veterans Contact Point in Nuneaton.
  • Referrals to Military Charities to help you with your welfare and other support (subject to eligibility).
  • Veteran to Veteran Peer Support to help you access appropriate services or support in the community.
  • Support may also be available for your family and dependents.

Further information:

  • SSAFA Prison In-Reach Service can provide advice and information as well as practical support.
  • Prisoners Advice Service (PAS) offers free legal advice and support to adult prisoners in England and Wales.
  • Prison Reform Trust (PRT) run a advice and information service for prisoners, which is independent of the prison service.
  • The Offenders Families Helpline on 0808 808 2003 can provide advice and support to families of someone who has been arrested, is going to court or in custody or prison.
  • The Prison Advice and Care Trust (Pact) is a national charity that provides support to prisoners, people with convictions, and their families.
  • Women in Prison provide support and advice in prison, through-the-gate on the day of release, and continued support in the community.
  • Fry Accord provide a range of services to vulnerable adults with an offending history, many of whom have multiple and complex needs.

> Back to top

11. Older Veterans

The Armed Forces Covenant is a lifelong commitment. It doesn’t matter how long ago you served or for how long, the Covenant can still support you.

Care homes/homes with support

As people get older their housing needs may change. Some may need support to remain living as independently as possible and others may need to go into some form of sheltered accommodation or even residential care or nursing home.

Further information:

  • Cobseo Housing Cluster have developed a directory of housing and support services for Veterans. This includes – supported accommodation, general needs housing, floating support and day centre provision for ex-Service personnel.
  • Care Choices provides information about finding care and support including residential care, nursing homes and care in your home.

Also see – Disabled facilities grants. These are available via your local housing authorities to fund adaptations to your home helping you to live independently and comfortably.

Social isolation

One of the issues for an ageing population is one of social isolation. This can be exacerbated by those who have spent a lot of time in the Armed Forces and miss the comradeship and sense of community it provides.

Befriending groups and activities can be found:

Special grants

The Royal British Legion provide crisis grants. This might be to cover the costs of something like:

  • A funeral
  • Furniture and household appliances
  • Essentials, like food and clothing
  • Mobility vehicles
  • Adaptations to your home for a disability

Help after death

If you lose someone who has previously served in our Armed Forces, or you are ex-forces and you lose someone, then SSAFA is committed to giving support during your bereavement.

> Back to top

12. Blue Badge scheme

The Blue Badge scheme allows drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems to park close to where they need to go. Coventry, Solihull and Warwickshire Councils process Blue Badge applications in accordance with the DfT guidelines.

All currently charge a £10 administration fee for successful applications.

The following are eligible for Blue Badges :

  • Those who receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement.
  • Those who have been awarded a benefit (giving rise to a lump sum at tariffs 1-8 inclusive) under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS). Furthermore, you have been certified by the Service Personnel and Veterans agency as having a permanent and substantial disability; which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.

> Back to top

13. Disabled persons’ bus pass

In Warwickshire, anyone who holds a Blue Badge (Disabled Parking Badge) is automatically considered eligible for a Disabled Persons’ Bus Pass.

There are also other criteria such as blind or partially sighted or profoundly or severely deaf by which an individual may be eligible for a Disabled Persons’ Bus Pass. If you live in Coventry or Solihull you may be eligible for a Network West Midlands Disabled Bus Pass

> Back to top

14. Offers and discounts

A number of organisations, shops and attractions show their support for the Armed Forces by providing discounts. Remember to ask when making a booking or inquiry.

Also see:

> Back to top

Support for Service Leavers, Veterans and their Families was last updated on July 26, 2018.