Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Older veterans

The Armed Forces Covenant is a lifelong commitment. It doesn’t matter how long ago you served or for how long, the Covenant can still support you.

Care homes/homes with support

As people get older their housing needs may change. Some may need support to remain living as independently as possible and others may need to go into some form of sheltered accommodation or even residential care or nursing home.

Further information:

  • Cobseo Housing Cluster has developed a directory of housing and support services for Veterans. This includes – supported accommodation, general needs housing, floating support and day centre provision for ex-Service personnel.
  • Care Choices provides information about finding care and support including residential care, nursing homes and care in your home.

Also, see – Disabled facilities grants. These are available via your local housing authorities to fund adaptations to your home helping you to live independently and comfortably.

Social isolation

One of the issues for an ageing population is one of social isolation. This can be exacerbated by those who have spent a lot of time in the Armed Forces and miss the comradeship and sense of community it provides.

Befriending groups and activities can be found:

Special grants

The Royal British Legion provides crisis grants. This might be to cover the costs of something like:

  • a funeral
  • furniture and household appliances
  • essentials, like food and clothing
  • mobility vehicles
  • adaptations to your home for a disability


If you lose someone who has previously served in our Armed Forces, or you are ex-forces and you lose someone, then SSAFA is committed to giving support during your bereavement.

Update cookies preferences