For students who are not entitled to free home to school transport, the vacant seats scheme allows them to travel on certain Warwickshire County Council services after all entitled travellers have been accommodated.
Vacant seats will be allocated to students based on the following categories (listed in order of priority – highest first):
- students who have travelled on the same bus service in the previous academic term
- Warwickshire residents who have not previously travelled on the service, or who are asking for a different bus service to the one travelled on in the previous academic term
- non-Warwickshire residents who have not previously travelled on the service, or who are asking for a different bus service to the one travelled on in the previous academic term
Vacant seats will be allocated subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Should the place be required for an entitled traveller, the service is withdrawn, or the route altered, the pass will be withdrawn. One terms notice will be given, except for students travelling by taxi, where a minimum of one weeks notice will be given.
- Where a pass is withdrawn after payment has been made, a refund will be made based on the number of days travelled.
- Vacant seat passes are not available on public transport services.
- Vacant seats for students can only be allocated once all entitled travellers have been accommodated. Parents should therefore make alternative arrangements until they have received confirmation that a vacant seat is available.
- The distance from home to school will be calculated based on the shortest available walking distance.
- A parental contribution is required for the vacant seats scheme. If this contribution is not received, students will not be able to travel.
- Students of sixth form/college age should not apply using this application form. A separate form is available from the Education Transport Office.
- Passes can only be used at the start and end of a school day at normal school hours. Timetables are normally supplied with bus passes.