Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) – travel assistance 16 and under

Travel assistance is available to pupils who:

  • are a resident of Warwickshire;
  • are in school year 11 or below;
  • have a maintained statement of special educational needs or an EHC plan;


  • Have a placement at a Specialist Assessment Nursery


  • Have a placement at their nearest qualifying special school as selected by the County Council and named on the child’s statement or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan


  • Have a placement at a designated Speech and Language Resource Base


  • Have a placement at their nearest qualifying mainstream school as named in the statement or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. The school should be:

    • Over 2 miles away for pupils under the age of 8
    • Over 3 miles away for pupils aged 8-16
    • Two miles away for pupils aged 8-11 who are entitled to free school meals and whose carers are in receipt of the maximum level of tax credits (proof of this will need to be provided)

For those who meet the above criteria Travel Assistance may be offered in either of two forms.

Direct Travel Payments (DTP)

If a pupil qualifies for travel assistance it is primarily offered in the form of direct travel payments. A Parent/Carer would be awarded direct travel payments to enable them to make their own arrangements to transport the pupil to and from their education setting. DTPs will not be provided unless agreed by the pupil’s parents.

Direct travel payments are paid at a rate of 40 pence per mile and the amount paid will be calculated on two return journeys per day.

Please note that direct travel payments will only be given when financially viable and when no existing transport is in place. Should a more cost effective method of transport become available, the Local Authority reserves the right to withdraw the DTP. Should a parent decide they can no longer accept a DTP, they must give at least 14 days’ notice.

More information about DTPs can be found in the Terms and Conditions.

Warwickshire County Council Transport

Transport may be provided to pupils whose parents/carers are unable to make their own travel arrangements. Transport may be given in the form of a bus pass, train pass or private hire vehicle. This is currently provided free of charge.

Warwickshire County Council will seek advice from relevant professionals if there is any dispute over the nature of transport requested.

If you wish to apply for SEND Under16’s Home to School Travel Assistance please complete this form:

Application for Home to School Travel Assistance for Pupils with Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND) (DOC, 190 KB)

For general enquiries, to request a paper copy of the application or if you require any assistance in completing the form please contact SEND on 01926 742160 or email sendtravelapplications@warwickshire.gov.uk

Concessionary Travel and Blue Badges

Some assistance may also be available outside of travel to an education setting.

Many children over the age of 5 and young people with special needs or disabilities are entitled to a concessionary bus pass for public transport. Visit our concessionary travel page for more information.

A child or young person may also be eligible for a disabled parking badge – Blue Badges

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) – travel assistance 16 and under was last updated on May 16, 2018.