Temporary structures licence on the highway

Please note that current services are changing. Up to date information will be available ASAP. If you require urgent information please contact the County Highways team.

Licence summary

To put a temporary structure – scaffolding, hoarding and cranes/access arms – on a public road, you need a licence from the local authority. Warwickshire County Council does not licence ‘A’ Boards and Displays of Goods on the Pavement, but does issue guidance.

For more information on the code of practice please contact County Highways.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence.

Evaluation process – Hoarding

An application form must be completed and returned not less that 3 working days before it is intended to place the temporary structure on the highway. Please be aware that although we can accept your application online it would be helpful to ring your local Area Office and discuss your requirements because the situation can be quite complex. A check will either have to be made on our map based system or a site visit may be required to assess whether it is safe to place a temporary structure in a particular location. A licence, if granted, will give details of the required standard of signing and guarding to be provided and the clearances to be maintained on or over the highway. Please note that if a licence is granted the structure must not obstruct access to statutory undertakers equipment and plant. Public Liability insurance cover of not less than £5,000,000 is required and we request evidence that such insurance is in force.

Evaluation Process – Scaffolding

The application form has been produced in consultation with the following organisations:

HSE (Health & Safety Executive)

Highways Authority

JAG UK (Joint Authority Group UK)

NTMF (National Traffic Managers Forum)

NASC (National Access & Scaffolding Confederation)

To improve the quality of scaffold structures on the public highway in accordance with current legislation, guidance and protocol and in turn minimise the risk of accident or injury to the general public or operatives working on or near the scaffold. A scaffold application is now required to be submitted a minimum of 7 working days in advance of the works. A license to erect or retain a scaffold or other structure will only be issued to the company responsible for the management and use of the scaffolding whilst it remains in situ. The scaffolding contractor cannot be the applicant unless they are engaged directly by a householder who is undertaking the work themselves. We will require £5m public liability insurance. However please note that where the scaffolding contractor directly employs operatives employers liability insurance giving a minimum cover of £10m for scaffolding is required. However we reserve the right to increase these amounts if it is considered that the site location requires a higher degree of cover. A copy of regulated scaffolding association membership certificates or alternative ‘competence’ documents will need to be submitted. A sketch or plan showing the proposed location of the structure is now required with all applications.

Please be aware we are currently updating our Scaffold application process and unfortunately due to this applications can not currently be made online.  Please click on the link to download a copy of our application form and return it to the appropriate office.


Scaffold licence: £100.00 Hoarding licence: £100.00 Crane / Access Arm: £100.00 It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. Submission of a form and payment does not mean permission has been granted and no temporary structure may be put on the highway without a licence being granted first.

The fee for all the licences are non-refundable.

Apply by post

WCC hoarding, access arm & crane application (DOC, 483.5 KB)
WCC scaffold application(DOC, 2.26 MB)

Postal applications must be completed and returned to the appropriate Area Office. A cheque for £100 should be submitted with the application, unless your Company has been approved for a monthly account.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK,

Adviceguide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the

UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another. Please contact us in the first instance.

Trade associations

Builders Merchants Federation (BMF) National Specialist Contractors Council (NSCC) National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC) National Federation of Builders (NFB)

Contact us

Stratford and Warwick Districts

South Area Office chsouth@warwickshire.gov.ukAddress: South Area Office Old Budbrooke Road Warwick 01926 412515

North Warwickshire, Nuneaton and Bedworth, and Rugby Boroughs

North Area Office chnorth@warwickshire.gov.uk
Address: North Area Office Coleshill Heath Road Coleshill 01926 412515

Temporary structures licence on the highway was last updated on October 17, 2018.