Apply for a hoarding or crane/access arm licence
An application form must be completed and returned no less than seven working days before it is intended to erect or retain the temporary structure on or over the highway.
- the applicant must have a minimum £5m public liability insurance
- where the applicant directly employs operatives, employers liability insurance giving a minimum cover of £10m is required
- we reserve the right to increase required insurance amounts if it is considered that the site location requires a higher degree of cover
- a sketch or plan showing the proposed location of the temporary structure must be submitted with the application
- if additional permits are required due to the requirement for traffic management, footway or road closures then this will increase the lead time for your application
Payment for £142 will be requested on receipt of the application unless your company has been approved for a monthly account. The fees for licences are non-refundable.
Submission of a form and payment does not mean permission has been granted and no temporary structure may be erected or retained on or over the highway without a licence being granted first. To apply please complete and return a WCC hoarding, access arm and crane application (DOC, 484 KB) to your local area office.
- the licence will give details of the required standard of signing and guarding to be provided and the clearances to be maintained on or over the highway
- the licence will prescribe special conditions which must be adhered to at all times
- the structure must not obstruct access to statutory undertakers equipment and plant or highway furniture
A penalty charge of £200 will apply for any illegal structure found to be erected or retained on or over the highway without Warwickshire County Council's permission.
As of 1 April 2022, County Highways minimum standard for public liability insurance will increase to 10million.
We would suggest reassessing your premium renewals this year to ensure you are ready for this transition so that we can continue to license your business activity on Warwickshire's highway network going forward with minimum disruption.