What can go in your green bin?
If you live in Warwickshire and have a green wheelie bin then you can recycle all your food waste.
Please do not put plastic, or biodegradable bags into your green bin as they contaminate the load and will not compost.
All biodegradable packaging is not necessarily compostable, but a compostable packaging is always biodegradable.
Find out more information and your collection date.
Why you should put food waste in your green bin
There are many reasons why recycling your food waste is extremely worthwhile.
- If everyone in Warwickshire placed their food waste in their green bins rather than their black/grey bins we could save around £1m every year.
- Recycled food waste can be used on farmer’s fields as a soil improver, reducing the need for fertilisers.
- By recycling food waste it reduces the volume of greenhouse gases, thought to be a major contributor to climate change, in the atmosphere
What happens to your food waste?
Kitchen caddy bins
We have teamed up with CompostBag to offer residents of Warwickshire discounted compostable caddy liners. The liners will fit caddy bins up to 10 litres capacity, are 100% compostable and will be delivered directly to your door at no extra cost.
Food and garden waste placed in the green bin will be sent to an in-vessel composting facility in Warwickshire.
Using your kitchen caddy
- Line your caddy with newspaper or a compostable caddy liner.
- Place all food waste into the caddy, including fruit and vegetable waste, cooked food, bones, meat and fish.
- Wrap food in newspaper if you prefer.
- When you are ready to empty the caddy, tie the top of the bag.
- Place in the green bin.