About us

The Hospital Social Care Team is based within the hospital. Ward staff have made us aware you may need our support to leave hospital safely. We will be working with you whilst you are in hospital to provide a service to help with your discharge from hospital.

Being in hospital can be a daunting and frightening experience which can leave patients and their families unsure about what is happening.
Whilst you are in hospital the Hospital Social Care Team are able to support with a range of personal, emotional and practical matters.

To achieve this, we will be talking with you and those important to you to identify what matters to you and what support you feel you may need on discharge.
The aim is to help you leave hospital as safely as possible.

In order to assess what support you need, we will listen to your views and those of other professionals and any persons important to you. We want you and the people that matter to you to work with us in a timely manner to ensure that you do not remain in hospital any longer than is necessary.

What happens next?

With your agreement, the Social Worker or Social Care Practitioner will visit you on the ward to carry out an assessment of your needs.

The assessment will include discussing your daily activities such as how you manage to get dressed, food preparation, social activities, running of your home, and what matters to you. Your assessment may also identify that you do not meet the criteria for social care support or you need support to find alternative accommodation. We will explore all support options available to you.

Services we may identify

  • Advice and support to maximise independence
  • Advice and support for carers/family members
  • Advocacy support
  • Appointee referral if required
  • Domiciliary Care (personal care)
  • Day Care/Social Activities
  • Advice about meal provision at home
  • Advice on how to manage daily household tasks
  • Referral to Age UK/Community Services
  • Residential and Nursing Home information
  • Referrals for financial assessments

Do I have to pay for my care?

To identify what contribution you have to pay towards your care support, you will receive a financial assessment from the Financial Assessment and Benefits Advice Team (FABA) who will contact you directly to arrange this.
The assessment usually takes place within your own home or care setting, online or over the telephone.

As part of the financial assessment, we may also give you advice on welfare benefits that you may be entitled to.
The financial assessment will identify the amount you are able to contribute towards the cost of your service.

Your information rights

To see how we use your personal data and what your information rights are, please read our overall customer privacy notice.
This includes the contact details you’ll need if you have a complaint about your information rights.

For general enquiries, contact Warwickshire County Council customer services on 01926 410410.