Apply for a dropped kerb

Council owned or previously council owned property

If the property concerned is council owned or has previously been council owned, it will be necessary for you to apply to the relevant local council for their consent to convert the property frontage into a hard standing for vehicles. The written permission gained from the council must be sent with the application form.

Rented property

If the property concerned is rented, it will be necessary for you to apply to your landlord for their consent to carry out the work. The written permission gained from the landlord must be sent with the application form.

A, B or C classified roads – planning permission

Should the proposed vehicle access be constructed on an A, B or C classified road, you will require planning permission from the local planning authority before we can consider your request further. This isn’t required for requests on other road classifications.

To find the road classification, please contact the Highways Searches team.

To apply for planning permission, please contact your local district / borough council:


If you already have permission, or if the site does not require planning permission, complete the application form and return it to the appropriate Area Office.

A non-returnable fee of £75.00 per application is payable to cover the cost of administration and inspections. You will be advised in due course when to make the payment.

Once we have received the completed application form, permission will normally be granted for the access to be constructed in accordance with our specifications.


We cannot recommend a particular contractor but there is a list of Street Works Accredited Contractors, who we believe to be qualified, insured and have previously demonstrated their competence in carrying out this type of work.

However, you retain the right to employ a contractor of your own choice subject to conditions that will be explained at the next stage of the application process, should your initial application be approved.

It is a requirement that the contractor has Public Liability Insurance to a minimum cover of £5 million and is accredited under the New Road and Street Works Act 1991 to work within the public Highway.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need planning permission?
If the drop kerb is going to be on an A, B or C road, then you will need to apply for planning permission from the relevant planning authority.

To find the road classification, please contact Highway Searches team.

To apply for planning permission please contact your local district or borough council.

Can I do the work myself?
You can appoint a suitable contractor. They must have the relevant street works accreditation and the correct insurance cover (£5 million public liability insurance). Warwickshire County Council has a list of contractors, this can be supplied with the application forms.

How much will it cost?
For planning permission costs please contact your local District planning authorities.

The fee for Warwickshire County Council to assess dropped crossing applications is £75.00 and is non refundable.

Why might you refuse an application?
Your application will be assessed to make sure vehicles can get on and off the highway safely.

This may include the following:

  • Onto a section of road where traffic speeds are high
  • On the approach to a traffic signalised junction where regular queuing takes place
  • In close proximity to a junction, roundabout or traffic signals
  • Immediately adjacent to a pedestrian refuge, or traffic island, which would prevent a vehicle turning in excess of 90 degrees in a single movement
  • At a bus stop, where use of a crossing could conflict with passengers waiting or make it difficult for disabled passengers to get on or off a bus
  • Where there is inadequate forward visibility for other drivers, pedestrians and users of the proposed access.

How much space is required?
There must be enough space on a forecourt so that a parked car does not overhang the footway.

  • A minimum of 5 metres deep at its shortest point by 2.4 metres wide, and set out at 90 degrees to the carriageway
  • If a new access is to lead to a garage there must be a minimum depth of 5.8 metres to allow door opening.

There must be room in front of doorways and that manoeuvring on and off the highway can be done safely.

How long does the process take?
This can vary, depending on using your own contractor and if planning permission is needed.

What happens after I have sent in forms A and B?
Once Form A has been received a decision will be made within 10 working days whether the application can continue.

If the process continues and Form B is received, permission or refusal will be given within 10 working days.

Once permission is granted this remains in place for two years only.

If I get turned down, can I appeal and how?
Yes, please contact the appropriate Area Office.

There is a tree/street light in the way, if I was to apply for a dropped kerb, do I need permission to remove the tree/street light?
Yes, if the tree/street light is within the public highway i.e. on the road, verge or footway.

There will also be a cost for removal – if this is allowed.

To request a cost for the relocation of a street light, please contact our Street Lighting team.

Do I need planning permission to change my front garden into a tarmac/paved drive?
Yes, if it exceeds 5 square metres (i.e. 1m x 5m) using such materials as concrete, or block paving. Seek advice from local planning authority(see details above).

Can my existing dropped kerb be extended?
Yes, but you will have to apply to the County Council for permission and if the extension is to an access crossing on an A, B or C road planning permission, will need to be sought from the appropriate District/Borough Council.

My neighbour doesn’t have a dropped kerb and he parks his car on his drive, is that ok?
This is not part of the dropped kerb application process. You can report this to a locality officer for further investigation.

Who is responsible for the work once it has been completed?
You have a one year guarantee from the appointed Contractor after completion.

After that period the County Council is responsible for maintenance.

How long does vehicle access permission last once its granted?
Works should be completed within two years from date of permission.

If works are not completed in this time, then a new application will be needed.

Apply for a dropped kerb was last updated on June 14, 2017.