Permissions required

Converting your front garden into a tarmac/paved drive

For more information on materials you can seek advice from your local district or borough council:

  • North Warwickshire Borough Council – 01827 715341
  • Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council – 02476 376376
  • Rugby Borough Council – 01788 533533
  • Stratford-on-Avon District Council – 01789 267575
  • Warwick District Council – 01926 456130

A, B or C classified roads

If the proposed vehicle access is on an A, B or C classified road, you will need planning permission from the local planning authority before we can consider your request further. This isn’t required for vehicle access on other road classifications.

To find the road classification, please contact the Highways Searches team.
To apply for planning permission, please contact your local district/borough council (details above).

Council owned property

If the property is council-owned, you need to apply to the relevant local council for permission to convert the property frontage into a hard standing for vehicles. The written permission received from the council must be sent with the application form.

Rented property

If the property is rented, you will need your landlord’s permission before you apply for a dropped kerb. This written permission must be sent with the application form.

Highway trees will not be removed to accommodate vehicle access works.


Removing street light that would be in the way of the dropped kerb

If the street light is within the public highway (on the road, verge or footway) you will need to request permission for this to be removed.

There will be a cost for removal if permission is granted. To request a quote for the relocation of a street light, please contact our Street Lighting team.