About the service
We provide Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks, to help organisations undertake security checks of those working for them, ensuring that their customers are protected from harm.
We can also provide individual support on a face to face basis, and develop specific solutions to individual challenges faced by you (including training courses).
A DBS check is a legal requirement:
- for certain jobs or voluntary work, for example working with children or in healthcare
- to foster or adopt a child
There are three types of DBS checks, which are only available for applicants who are 16 or over:
- Standard - This will check for spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings.
- Enhanced - This includes the same as the standard check plus any additional information held by local police that is reasonably considered relevant to the workforce being applied for (adult, child or ‘other’ workforce). ‘Other’ workforce means those who don’t work with children or adults specifically, but potentially both, eg taxi drivers. In this case, the police will only release information that is relevant to the post being applied for.
- Enhanced with list checks - This is like the enhanced check, but includes a check of the DBS barred lists. An employer can only ask for a barred list check for specific roles. It’s a criminal offence to ask for a check for any other roles.