Regulatory business service and advice

Business Service Advice

  • Trading Standards advice for businesses

    We cover many topic areas to help businesses comply with the law and work safely.

  • Calibration service

    Warwickshire Trading Standards calibration laboratory services offer a wide range of calibration and metrological services which are registered to ISO 9001 and UKAS accredited in certain fields.

  • Fire, crime and safety legislation

    The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies to nearly all non-domestic premises. The main effect of the Order is to ensure a move towards greater emphasis on fire prevention in all non-domestic premises, including the voluntary sector and self-employed people with premises separate from their homes.

  • Dangerous substances notification

    The Health and Safety Executive is the enforcing authority for notification of the storage of dangerous substances and once notified, the Fire Authority is the enforcing authority for the marking of sites with warning signs.

  • Public weighbridges

    Public weighbridge locations, fees, dimensions, capacity and opening times.

  • Cyber Streetwise – CyberEssentials

    Protect your business against cyber threats.

  • Criminal Records Checks (Warwickshire Vetting Services)

    As an umbrella body, we can perform checks for all organisations, large or small, and across all sectors, private, public and third sector alike. We have fully trained staff providing support and guidance at every stage to ensure that you receive the best customer service along with the fastest possible turn-round of your DBS application.

  • Child employment permit

    All school age children who work part-time must be registered with us. It is the responsibility of the employer to register all school age children working for them, and to carry out a risk assessment.

  • Children in entertainment

    A child performance licence must be obtained if a child under compulsory school leaving age performs in theatre, modelling, sport and in licensed premises.

  • Petroleum storage licence

    To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use – you need a licence obtainable from Warwickshire County Council Trading Standards Service.

  • Explosives storage licence

    Warwickshire Trading Standards licence or register premises that store explosives (other than private storage for personal use).

  • Performing Animals licence

    If you exhibit, use or train performing animals, in England, Wales or Scotland, you must be registered with your local authority. Applications must contain details about the animals and the performances they are to take part in. Applications may be subject to a fee.

  • Underage sales

    Warwickshire Trading Standards Service supports the No ID No Sale! campaign which seeks to raise awareness of the minimum legal age for buying age-restricted products.

  • Skip license

    To put a builder’s skip on a public road, you need a licence from the local authority.

  • Chemical and hazardous waste disposal

    We can accept small amounts of household chemicals from members of the public, free of charge.

  • Commercial waste

    Commercial waste is defined as waste from premises used wholly or mainly for the purposes of a business.

  • Agricultural waste

    Waste that is produced in the course of work on land used for agriculture is classified as agricultural waste.

  • Minibus and passenger vehicles – training and assessment

    Warwickshire road safety education can provide driver training and assessment for those vehicles which can be driven using a normal full car licence, except tail lift minibuses which require MiDAS (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme) training and assessment.

  • Street café licence

    To put tables and chairs on a Warwickshire public highway, you will need to obtain a licence from us before doing so.

  • Tourism signs

    The tourist industry has long recognised the benefits of adequate and distinctive signs for visitors and tourists. ‘Brown’ tourist signs help visitors to find the attraction as well as promoting it to potential visitors.

  • Residential care and nursing care premises

    The Care Quality Commission is an independent regulator of Health & Social Care in England with responsibility for approving and granting registration to persons or organisations providing or managing social care services, children’s services and independent health care establishments.

  • Sports ground safety certificate

    If you operate a sports ground in England, Scotland or Wales that holds more than 10,000 spectators (5,000 in the case of Premier or Football league grounds), you may be required to hold a safety certificate.

Regulatory business service and advice was last updated on April 22, 2016.