The following criteria for the provision of private access protection road marking applies.
- The white bar marking is reserved for those sites where there is a persistent problem, with frequent obstruction of an access.
- The lines are intended to deter drivers who would otherwise park across an access. They can be placed in residential streets with a high parking demand by non-residents, for example near shopping or commercial areas. They will not be used where parking obstruction is by neighbours.
- They shall be laid in accordance with the road marking regulations and in white non-reflective material.
- Anyone who applies for this facility is required to provide a detailed reason for the application.
- If the work is agreed a charge of £47 per (up to) each 5m line will apply. (Therefore, an Access Protection Marking up to 5m will be charged at £47, over 5m and up to 10m will be charged at £94 and over 10m and up to 15m £141 etc)
The length of an ‘access marking’ extends about one-metre beyond each end of the length of a dropped kerb as long as this does not encroach in front of the neighbouring property.
Please note that these markings have no legal standing. However, if a vehicle does park on them, the presence of the line would tend to support the offence of obstruction.