Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

University course

Enrolling onto a University course to obtain a degree in social work (BA undergraduate degree or a postgraduate masters) and then applying for a role once you are qualified is the most traditional route into social work. The course takes three years for a first degree or two years post graduate degree if completed on a full-time basis.

As a social work student, you will have the opportunity to experience social work through practice learning placements. Practice learning is designed to provide on the job experience and the chance to apply the knowledge learnt at university.

Financial support such as bursaries and student loans are often available, and it is worth checking with individual universities to find out more about what they offer.

Contact universities directly to check entry requirements.

Social Worker Apprenticeship Scheme

We work with Coventry University to offer Social Work Apprenticeships to non-qualified social care staff such as Family Support Workers. This is a great route for people wishing to further their career to become a social worker whilst gaining on the job experience.

There is an application process with a limited number of sought-after places available.

The degree apprenticeship is fully funded and will take three years to complete.

Young people's routes into social work

Young people in Year 11 right now may become children's social workers by 2026, working for Warwickshire County Council and protecting and supporting children across the county.

As part of our long-term strategy to recruit the children’s social workers of tomorrow, we have developed a guide for anyone thinking about entering the lifechanging profession. The information provides details about the various routes into social work:

The Children & Families Service within the County Council are also happy to send representatives to support any schools and colleges at careers events or activities next year by coming and talking about a career in Social Work. If this would be helpful to your school or college, please contact by emailing

Do you want to make Warwickshire more child friendly? Get into social work

Update cookies preferences