All children and young people in the care of Warwickshire County Council belong to the Warwickshire Virtual School. This includes children who attend nursery settings, schools or colleges outside of Warwickshire.
To achieve this, a team of experienced teachers work as Education Advisers under the leadership of the Virtual School Head.
Each adviser takes responsibility for a group of schools to:
- monitor personal education plans (PEPs) to ensure individual needs are identified and addressed
- work with designated teachers, as lead professionals, to enable them to provide the best help and support
- protect the entitlement to a good education for all children and young people in care
For children previously in care and living in Warwickshire, the Virtual School is a source of advice and information for parents and schools in order to promote their educational achievement.
Warwickshire Virtual School seeks to close the attainment gap between children in care (CiC), children previously children in care (PCiC) and their peers.
We believe that this is achieved when education providers:
- build positive nurturing relationships within their settings, based on an understanding of attachment and childhood trauma
- promote and prioritise the social, emotional and mental health development of children looked after
- promote inclusive practice and use alternatives to exclusions
- have high aspirations for CiC / PCiC