Fireworks and other explosives

We provide licences to individuals and companies who wish to store up to 2000kg (net weight) of explosives, including fireworks and shotgun cartridges. It is illegal to sell explosives unless you are licensed.

When can you sell fireworks?

A storage licence covers fireworks stored for sale during the following time periods:

  • from 15 October to 10 November
  • from 26 to 31 December
  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding this
  • on the first day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding this

If you wish to sell fireworks outside of these periods you will need to apply for an all year sales licence. The fee for an all year sales licence is £500. Please contact us for further information.

Applying for a licence to store fireworks or other explosives

Applying for a licence does not mean it will automatically be granted to you.

The time it takes to process your application will depend on the size and nature of your business. We acknowledge receipt of applications within five working days and will inform you of progress at regular intervals.

If you have not heard from us within seven days of your application being submitted please contact us.

Apply online

Storing and selling fireworks safely

The Business Companion guide to the sale of fireworks provides helpful information about licensing, categories of fireworks and age restrictions that apply.