Establishing a family home in the area


If you have children and are moving into the area you will need to register them with a school.

The Schools Admissions Code in England was changed in 2014 to support service families who can apply and be allocated a place before they move into an area. Children can be accepted mid-term and class sizes increased to beyond the normal maximum to accommodate them.

You can find out more on page 25 of the School Admissions Code.

Further information on schools, learning and admissions:

If your child has special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), the SEND Local Offer is there to support you.

Family support

The Family Information Service (FIS) is a free information and signposting service that covers a wide range of family-related topics. These include:

Universal Credit for Armed Forces personnel and their families

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that will eventually replace some of the benefits and tax credits you may have claimed previously. Serving personnel and their families may be entitled to Universal Credit when the serving member is temporarily posted overseas.

More Universal Credit information Can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Free wraparound childcare for service children

The children of service personnel will be entitled to free breakfast and after-school childcare as part of new measures to better support the Armed Forces and their loved ones. Service personnel based in Buckinghamshire will be the first to trial the new offer of free ‘wraparound’ childcare as pilots are rolled out in September to coincide with the beginning of the academic year. Service personnel based in Catterick and Plymouth will be able to access the pilot scheme from January. Following these initial trials, details of further roll-outs are anticipated in 2021.