In Warwickshire, children start infant or primary school the September after their fourth birthday. The law says all children must start school by the beginning of the term after their fifth birthday.
When do I need to apply for my child’s school place?
|Date of birth||Start school in||Application process opens|
|1 Sept 2012 to 31 Aug 2013||September 2017||September 2016|
|1 Sept 2013 to 31 Aug 2014||September 2018||September 2017|
|1 Sept 2014 to 31 Aug 2015||September 2019||September 2018|
|1 Sept 2015 to 31 Aug 2016||September 2020||September 2019|
|1 Sept 2016 to 31 Aug 2017||September 2021||September 2020|
|1 Sept 2017 to 31 Aug 2018||September 2022||September 2021|
Underage and overage applications (including children born in summer)
- Most children are educated in the year group determined by their date of birth.
- Paragraph 2.17 of the School Admissions Code does, however, allow parents to request that their child is educated outside of their normal age group (for example, if their child is gifted or talented or has experienced problems such as ill-health).
- In addition, the parents of a summer born child may choose not to send that child to school until the September following their fifth birthday and may request that they are admitted out of their normal age group – to Reception rather than Year 1.
- If a parent/carer wishes to request that their child is taught out of year group they should submit their request to us along with their reasons.
- We encourage parents to do this ahead of the relevant closing date for applications.
- Parents should also include confirmation of agreement to the proposal from the headteacher of their preferred school.
- Parents may also wish to submit other information in support of their request (for example from professionals who have worked with their child.)
Each request for a child to be taught out of year group will be looked at individually, with all available information considered. Any decision taken will be on the basis of what is in the child’s best interests. Decisions as to whether or not a child is educated out of year group will be taken by the admission authority of the school in question, this will not always be the local authority.
- Parents will be notified once a decision is reached along with the reasons for the decision.
- Parents will also be notified of the potential risks of a child being taught out of year group.
- It will also be made clear that when the child moves school, the admission authority of the new school will be responsible for deciding which year group the child will be placed in.
- this could result in a child being required to skip or repeat a year
Please read the guidance below, before making a request for a child to be educated out of year group.