Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Moving away from Warwickshire

If you receive social care and support services (including equipment) and/or direct payments funded by us, and you are going to move home permanently to a new area outside Warwickshire, you need to contact us and let us know.

This will enable us to work with you and your new local authority/council to make sure you continue to receive support, on and from the day of your move.

Local authorities' responsibilities

The Care Act 2014 outlines local authority responsibilities to ensure that people’s care and support is not interrupted when they move.

The first authority is the authority you are leaving (us), and the second authority is the authority you are moving to.

We will:

  • liaise with your new authority about your planned move
  • share your assessment, support plan and other relevant information requested with the second authority
  • keep in contact with the second authority about the progress they are making and involve you in that contact
  • keep you informed and up-to-date about progress

The second authority should:

  • provide you with information about the care and support available in their area
  • carry out an assessment of your needs for care and support
  • carry out an assessment of carers’ needs where relevant
  • give you a written explanation of any differences in your assessment or support plan
  • involve you, and any carers, in your assessment

If the second authority has not completed the assessment when you move then they must continue to meet the needs identified by the assessment undertaken by us until a new assessment has been completed and a new care plan has been agreed.

Letting people and organisations know you are moving

Please inform:

  • us that you are leaving
  • the new authority you will be moving to that you are planning to move

Think about all the other agencies involved in your support and let them know you are moving. This may include:

  • health professionals – for example, GP and dentist/equipment services
  • housing provider
  • access to work
  • student support services
  • direct payment agency
  • carers’ organisations
  • the Department for Work and Pensions.

Ask about being referred to an equivalent service in your new area and keep a record of all your communications with those involved.

Finding out about your new local authority

Local authorities can be different in many aspects and you may find that care and support is delivered in different ways. Please find out as much as possible in advance about the new local authority and the range of services available.

The new local authority, where you are planning to move to should send you information about the care and support available in your new area.

If you are considering managing your support with a direct payment ask the new local authority for information about schemes in their area.

You should ask about what support is available for carers and how can carers access them.

Managing direct payments and personal assistants as you move

Your personal assistant could continue to work for you or you may need to end their employment.

There will be a number of factors that will determine this such as your new location and conditions of employment. It is important that you seek advice about how to do this correctly to ensure you are not in breach of your employment responsibilities.

If your personal assistant leaves before you move, you need to think about how you will manage for that period of time.

If your personal assistant is being made redundant when you move, you should seek employment advice. We would advise you to contact Penderels Trust who can advise you on how to do this correctly.

Telephone: 024 7693 7370

Direct payment schemes are different in each local authority, it is important you speak with the direct payment support organisation in the new authority to gather all the information you need to make the correct decisions.

For example, if you need to find new personal assistants in your new authority, start the recruitment process as soon as possible.

In case there are delays in finding and recruiting new personal assistants, start to identify agencies which could provide short term support when you move.

If you wish to discuss this in more detail please contact us on or call 01926 413908.


Any equipment you have been provided with from the Warwickshire Community Equipment Service (from NHS or social care services) will need to be returned. For further information please contact Warwickshire Integrated Community Equipment Service: 0333 321 8986.

To arrange equipment to be in place at your new residence, you will need to contact the new authority to request their support to provide this. The second authority may request your permission to contact us for a recent occupational therapy assessment, or a list of your prescribed equipment, or they may wish to reassess you themselves with regard to this equipment.

Preparing for new assessments

The local authority you are moving to will carry out an assessment of your needs for care and support.

You will need to keep copies of your most recent assessments, support plans and other documents that might need to be shared with professionals in your new area.

If the new authority has not completed the assessment when you move then they must put in place arrangements that meet the needs for your care and support as identified by us. These arrangements must be in place on the day of the move and continue until the second authority has carried out its own assessment and put in place a care and support plan which has been developed with the person.

To help inform your assessment, make a list of all the support you currently receive, paid and unpaid, which you can share with your new local authority. Think about whether you will need more, less or different kinds of support when you move, perhaps because you will be moving away from family members.

If relevant, remember to ask about support for carers and ask for a carers’ assessment.

Important things to think about

Keep a list of useful contacts – make sure you know who to contact if there are any last minute issues concerning your care and support.

Consider moving early in the week, and try to avoid a Friday as it is more difficult to contact health and social care professionals, trades or care agencies over a weekend.

Update cookies preferences