Making your application

To put a builder’s skip on a public road, the skip company will need a skip licence from Warwickshire County Council as the highway authority. A summary of the regulation relating to this licence is available on Before applying please read our Placement of skips on a public highway: standard conditions (DOCX, 41 KB)

Once we receive your application a check will either have to be made on our map-based system, or a site visit may be required, to assess whether it is safe to place a skip in a particular location.

Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following:

  • siting of the skip
  • skip dimensions
  • making skips visible to traffic
  • care and disposal of skip contents
  • lighting and guarding of skips
  • skip removal

Applications will be accepted provided that:

  • the application is submitted by the skip owner
  • the skip owner agrees to indemnify Warwickshire County Council
  • the skip owner agrees to comply with all necessary UK regulations with regard signing, lighting and guarding of the skip
  • public liability insurance cover of no less than £5m is in place
  • the skip owner holds a valid waste carriers licence

The cost of the licence is £61. If the application is submitted with less than three days until it is intended to place the skip, there will be a surcharge of £10. Payment will be requested on receipt of the application unless your company has been approved for a monthly account.

The fees for licences are non-refundable.

Apply online

Alternatively, you can also apply by post.

A penalty charge of £200 will apply for any illegal skip found to be deposited on the highway without Warwickshire County Council's permission.

Please note:

As of 1 April 2022, County Highways minimum standard for public liability insurance will increase to 10million.

We would suggest reassessing your premium renewals this year to ensure you are ready for this transition so that we can continue to license your business activity on Warwickshire's highway network going forward with minimum disruption.