To put a builder’s skip on a public road, the skip company will need a skip licence from the local authority.
A summary of the regulation relating to this licence is available on legislation.gov.uk.
Before applying please read our Placement of skips on A public highway: standard conditions (DOCX, 41.04 KB)
If you choose to complete your application online we advise you to ring your local area office to discuss requirements.
A check will either have to be made on our map based system, or a site visit may be required, to assess whether it is safe to place a skip in a particular location.
Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following:
- siting of the skip
- skip dimensions
- making skips visible to traffic
- care and disposal of skip contents
- lighting and guarding of skips
- skip removal
Applications from owners will be accepted provided that:
- the skip owner is clearly identified
- the owner indemnifies Warwickshire County Council
- public liability insurance cover of not less than £5,000,000 is in place. We will request evidence of this.
The cost of the licence is £25. If the form is submitted with less than three days until it is intended to place the skip, there will be an additional charge of £10.
Alternatively you can also apply by post.
- Postal applications must be completed by the owner of the skip and returned to the appropriate area office.
- A cheque should be submitted with the application, unless your company has been approved for a monthly account.