Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

School Street exemptions

The following vehicles can apply for an exemption from a PCN/fine:

  • A resident’s regular visitor
  • Unregistered carer
  • Registered carer
  • Disabled Blue Badge holder (pupil, parent, carer and school staff)
  • Local businesses’ staff within the school street area with a requirement to park.
  • Users of private off-street parking accessed within a School Street zone


There is no charge for being added to the exemption list.

Applying for an exemption

You can apply for an exemption using the same method as applying for a permit.

Key information

Apply at least 10 working days before you intend to enter the School Street to ensure it can be processed before you need to use it.

Exempt persons will need to renew their exemption each time they change their vehicle and must allow 48 hours notice for this.

Exemptions require you to display a School Streets permit in the dashboard.

An exemption is specific to that School Street and is not transferable. If you need an exemption for multiple School Streets you will need to apply for each exemption separately. Each application will be considered individually and getting an exemption for one School Street cannot guarantee that exemption will be granted for other School Streets where exemption is applied for.

Discretionary exemptions

Exemptions may also be granted at the school’s discretion for SEND pupils with mobility or behavioural issues.

Incidents of short-term illness or injury may also be covered at the school’s discretion. Example scenarios include (but are not limited to), a parent needing to pick up a sick child from school, or if a pupil or parent/carer suffers an injury which affects their mobility.

Automatic exemptions

The following vehicles are automatically exempt, and do not need to apply for an exemption:

  • Emergency service vehicles and other public service vehicles such as waste collection
  • Hackney carriage taxis
  • School transport vehicles
  • Specialist public passenger transport services
  • Road works and utility vehicles undertaking works (including inspection) i.e., street lighting, gas, electricity, water, drainage, and communication services in or adjoining that road

Non-branded/liveried delivery vehicles, couriers, and general service providers

Non-branded/liveried delivery vehicles, couriers and general service providers are not exempt. Residents and businesses located within a School Street zone are encouraged to organise these deliveries and service visits outside of the School Street’s operational times.

Update cookies preferences