Suicide bereavement support
A sudden death or death by suicide is a difficult experience for those bereaved. It can leave people feeling isolated, confused and struggling to cope.
For many people, friends and family will be their main support, particularly in the immediate period after someone has died. However, you might want to contact some of the organisations listed below, especially if you would find it helpful to talk with others who have coped with a similar situation.
- Amparo offers practical and emotional support for anyone of any age bereaved by suicide in Coventry and Warwickshire. It is free to access and completely confidential and support can be provided one-to-one, to family groups, groups of colleagues or peers.
- Facing the Future groups provides support groups run by Samaritans and Cruse Bereavement Care. A group is currently set up in Coventry.
Phone: 0208 939 9560
- First Hand is free resource is for anyone who has witnessed a suicide, particularly when they did not know the person who has died. This may be because someone happened to be at a particular location, or because their job involves responding to these incidents."
- Kaleidoscope Plus Group offers one support group per month in Warwickshire to support people bereaved by suicide.
Phone: 0121 565 5605
- Papyrus offers signposting to a wide range of organisations that can provide bereavement support or support for people experiencing suicidal thoughts.
- Samaritans offers a free 24/7 telephone helpline for people who are feeling angry, depressed and suicidal.
Phone: 116 123
- Support After Suicide is a website providing a wide range of information about bereavement by suicide and also signposts to a number of organisations that can provide bereavement support or support for people experiencing suicidal thoughts.
- Support After Suicide – Help is at Hand is a written guide for people bereaved by suicide and is handed out by police when they notify anyone of a suspected death by suicide in Warwickshire
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide – Peer support groups available in Leamington Spa and Coventry. It should be noted that these are peer-led groups and do not link in with statutory organisations.
Phone: 024 7630 2969
Phone: 07902 084 320
- Winston’s Wish - Support for children, young people and families who have been bereaved by suicide. Support is available via phone, email and online chat.
Phone: 0808 802 0021