Making your application
To put a builder’s skip on a public road, the skip company will need a skip licence from Warwickshire County Council as the highway authority. A summary of the regulation relating to this licence is available on legislation.gov.uk. Before applying please read our Placement of skips on a public highway: standard conditions (PDF, 155 KB).
Applications must be completed by the skip owner and returned to Warwickshire County Council no less than 5 working days before it is intended to place the skip.
Once we receive your application a check will either have to be made on our map-based system, or a site visit may be required, to assess whether it is safe to place a skip in a particular location.
Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following:
- siting of the skip
- skip dimensions
- making skips visible to traffic
- care and disposal of skip contents
- lighting and guarding of skips
- skip removal
Applications will be accepted provided that:
- the application is submitted by the skip owner
- the skip owner agrees to indemnify Warwickshire County Council
- the skip owner agrees to comply with all necessary UK regulations with regard signing, lighting and guarding of the skip
- public liability insurance cover of no less than £10m is in place
- the skip owner holds a valid waste carriers licence
The cost of the licence is £67. If the application is submitted with less than three days until it is intended to place the skip, there will be a surcharge of £10. Payment will be requested on receipt of the application unless your company has been approved for a monthly account
The fees for applications to place skips on a public road are non-refundable.
Alternatively, you can also apply by post.
Placing a skip on the highway without a valid licence and/or failing to provide a valid skip licence for any skip on a public road is illegal. Warwickshire County Council will consider issuing a retrospective licence in these circumstances.
The charge for consideration of a retrospective skip licence is £200. The charge is payable regardless of whether the retrospective skip licence is granted.
Warwickshire County Council may also take other enforcement action as deemed appropriate.