What can go in your green bin?
If you live in either North Warwickshire, Nuneaton and Bedworth or Rugby Borough, and have a green wheeled bin, please recycle all your food waste in here, with your garden waste.
If you live in Warwick or Stratford-on-Avon District, food waste is collected weekly in a separate kerbside caddy. It should no longer be added to your green wheeled bin. Your food waste is processed to make energy from the bio-gas produced during the decomposition process.
Please do not put plastic, or biodegradable bags into your green bin as they contaminate the load and will not compost.
All biodegradable packaging is not necessarily compostable, but a compostable packaging is always biodegradable.
Find out more information and your collection date.
Why you should put food waste in your green bin
There are many reasons why recycling your food waste is extremely worthwhile.
- If everyone in Warwickshire recycled their food waste, rather than putting it in the rubbish bin, it could save around £1m every year.
- Recycled food waste can be used on farmers fields as a soil improver, reducing the need for fertilisers. Food waste that is collected separately is used to produce energy for the grid.
- By recycling food waste it reduces the volume of greenhouse gases, thought to be a major contributor to climate change, in the atmosphere.
What happens to your food waste?
Kitchen caddy bins
To get your free kitchen caddy bin please contact your local district or borough council.
Food and garden waste placed in the green bin in either North Warwickshire, Nuneaton and Bedworth or Rugby boroughs will be processed at an in-vessel composting facility in Warwickshire.
Food waste placed in the kerbside food waste bin in Warwick and Stratford-on-Avon districts is processed at an anaerobic digestion plant where the gases produced in the decomposition of the food waste are captured and burned to make power to feed into the national grid.
Using your kitchen caddy
- Line your caddy with newspaper or a compostable caddy liner.
- Place all food waste into the caddy, including fruit and vegetable waste, cooked food, bones, meat and fish.
- Wrap food in newspaper if you prefer.
- When you are ready to empty the caddy, tie the top of the bag.
- If you live in either North Warwickshire, Nuneaton and Bedworth or Rugby Borough, place in your green wheeled bin. If you live in either Warwick or Stratford-on-Avon District place in your kerbside food waste caddy.