Alcohol and drug misuse relates to the use of alcohol and/or drugs which affects someone’s health and wellbeing and those around them. Misuse can involve being dependent on substances or taking them in a way that causes harm. Some substances, such as illegal drugs, cause harm however you take them.
Alcohol and drug misuse becomes an issue when it affects someone’s day-to-day life, feelings and emotions, health, and their relationships with others.
We commission a range of local services for adults and young people affected by alcohol and/or drugs.
- Compass - service for children and young people
- Change grow live (Cgl) - service for adults and all age recovery network
Supervised consumption and needle exchange
Supervised consumption is available for all those starting opioid substitution treatment and for anyone needing to continue or return to supervision to ensure medication-compliance and reduce overdose risk.
Needle exchange gives injecting drug users access to sterile needles, syringes and other equipment and their safe disposal, to reduce the dangers associated with using unsterile or contaminated injecting equipment and reduce the spread of infectious diseases.
Discarded needles and syringes
Do not touch a discarded needle or syringe – you may put yourself at risk. Report the find to your local district or borough council.
- North Warwickshire Borough Council
- Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council
- Rugby Borough Council
- Stratford District Council
- Warwick District Council
Coventry and Warwickshire detox and rehab
In Warwickshire for those with dependent alcohol and drug issues, who have explored and been unsuccessful with other community-based treatment options or with identified complex needs, a detailed assessment of need is undertaken to assess suitability for a residential detox or a rehabilitation placement.
Drug and alcohol support
- NHS One You - drinking
- Re-solv - solvent misuse and legal highs
- Talk to Frank - drug advice
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Alcohol Concern
- Adfam – families, drugs and alcohol
- Narcotics Anonymous
Healthy lifestyle support
- Mental health advice
- Keeping active
- Healthy eating and weight
- ChatHealth – message a school nurse
- Help and services for armed forces personnel and veterans
- Safe In Warwickshire Partnership – community safety information for professionals
- Equality and Inclusion Partnership (EQUIP)