Farms are particularly vulnerable to arson.
Isolated location, open boundaries and readily ignitable hay and straw make them an easy target.
Tips to consider:
- removed hay and straw from fields as soon as possible after harvesting
- hay and straw should be stored:
- separately from other buildings, particularly those housing fuels, agrochemicals and machinery
- in stacks of a reasonable size, spaced at least 10 metres apart
- separately from livestock housing
- store petrol, diesel and other fuels in secure areas and lock storage tank outlets securely
- keep fertilisers and pesticides under lock and key
- dispose of rubbish safely on a regular basis