Accessing the parent carer needs assessment

If you have an allocated social worker and have previously completed a social care assessment or a parent carers assessment and feel that your situation has changed, or that you need more support, you should make contact with  your social worker to request access to the Parent Carer Support Pathway.

If you have previously been in receipt of an ongoing, regular payment that has now expired, you should contact your allocated worker and request access to the Parent Carer Support Pathway. You will need to complete a wellbeing conversation in order to discuss your family needs.

If you don’t have an allocated worker and would like to access the parent carer pathway, there are two ways to get in touch. You can complete the online contact form, providing your name and a contact number or email address and one of our practitioners will get in touch to discuss your needs.

You can call us on 01926 413737 (option 4) and a practitioner from the team will start the Parent Carer Support Pathway.

Lines are open:

  • from 9am to 5.30pm - Monday to Thursday
  • from 9am to 5pm on Fridays

Depending on service demands, the wellbeing conversation can be held with you over the phone immediately - it can take up to an hour to complete. If this isn't possible a time can be arranged that is convenient to call you back to carry out the wellbeing conversation.

Occasionally it can be arranged for a practitioner to visit your home to complete the wellbeing conversation if you are unable to complete this over the phone. Please note due to COVID-19 restrictions this may not be currently possible.