How to refer

If you are a managing authority (care home or hospital) and think you are already depriving someone of their liberty, you will need to complete all pages of Form 1 (below) and submit it to the relevant supervisory body.

If you think that you will be depriving someone in the future, for example, a new admission that has not yet arrived, complete and submit Form 1 (above) excluding pages 6 and 7. If you would like further help or guidance, please contact us using the details provided.

If you are a friend or relative of someone you feel is being deprived of their liberty, firstly you would need to raise it with the relevant managing authority (hospital or care home) and ask them to refer. If they fail to do so please notify the relevant supervisory body in writing.

If you have any questions about the process or are unsure whether to make a referral please do not hesitate to contact the relevant supervisory body. If you don’t know which supervisory body is appropriate, please contact us in the first instance.