Register a stillbirth

We understand that this is a distressing time for you. Please read the information below and contact us if you would like to discuss arrangements for the registration.

Where can a stillbirth be registered?

A stillbirth must be registered in the district where it occurred. If this is within Warwickshire you can register at any of the registration offices in the county. If it is difficult to make an appointment at an office within Warwickshire, you may make a declaration at your most convenient office. The details will be sent to the appropriate district and the certificate posted to you. Please telephone us if you require further information.

Who can register a stillbirth?

Only the parents can register the stillbirth. If you are married, either parent can register. If you are not married and the father’s details are to be included in the birth entry then you must attend the appointment together.

Who can register a stillbirth if the parents are not able to?

Although the majority of stillbirths are registered by the parents, sometimes neither the mother nor the father is able to do this. In these circumstances, the registrar will arrange for the registration to be completed by whichever of the following people is best able to do so. This includes:

  • the occupier of the house or hospital where the child was stillborn
  • a person who was present at the stillbirth
  • a person who is responsible for the stillborn child
  • the person who found the stillborn child (where the date and place of the stillbirth are unknown).

Booking an appointment

Please contact us to book an appointment.


Telephone: 024 7637 5209


Telephone: 01788 551829

Stratford-on-Avon and Warwick

Telephone: 01926 412557

What information will the registrar ask for?

  • date and place of the stillbirth
  • the forename(s) and surname, if the parents wish to name the stillborn child
  • the sex of the child