Who abuses and where does it happen?

Anyone can carry out abuse or neglect. This can include: 

  • spouses/partners
  • other family members
  • neighbours
  • friends
  • acquaintances
  • local residents
  • people who deliberately exploit adults they perceive as vulnerable to abuse
  • paid staff or professionals
  • volunteers and strangers

While a lot of attention is paid, for example, to targeted fraud or internet scams perpetrated by complete strangers, it is far more likely that the person responsible for abuse is known to the adult and is in a position of trust and power.

Abuse can happen anywhere, for example, in someone’s own home, in a public place, in hospital, in a care home or in college. It can take place when an adult lives alone or with others.

What happens after you report abuse?

We will always take it seriously when someone tells us about abuse, or a situation which they think could lead to abuse. Everyone is different and will need different support or advice depending on their situation.

We will always make sure that an adult at risk of abuse receives the help and support they need to take action on their own behalf, to make choices and to retain control over their life.

You can view more information at the following link:

 Leaflet – What happens after you report abuse (pdf, 224 Kb)

Safe Places

Safe Places are community places such as a shop or community centre where you can go to get help if you feel unsafe or at risk when you are out and about. For more details, select the following link.

Safe Places – more information

Contact us

Adult Social Care and Support


01926 412080


Warwickshire County Council 
Shire Hall 
CV34 4RR