Public road closures are considered to be a last resort and will only be granted following a complete application and justification for closing a road.
If your proposed works or event is not on the public highway (field or land adjacent to the road) but is likely to affect traffic movements on the public highway, you need to register your event.
Note: All road closures will require an agreed, signed diversion route. We will be able to give further advice on this.
We can authorise a road to be closed to allow road works to take place or to ensure safety at a special event.
District and borough councils can also authorise closures for events including street parties and fairs.
The following can apply to close a road:
- Warwickshire County Council and statutory undertakers (for example gas, water, electricity) can apply to close a road to carry out essential works on their apparatus.
- Builders/thatchers can apply to close a road for maintenance and repairs. It is recommended that you employ a suitable company to undertake the road closure on your behalf.
- Event organisers such as groups or organisations who wish to hold an event (for example social events, celebrations, carnivals and fairs, sporting events and filming) on the highway can request that a road is closed.
The cost of a temporary road closure will be:
- emergency closure £745 (0% VAT)
- planned road closure £1,555 (0% VAT)
Extensions to a temporary road closure are dealt with on a case by case basis.
A minimum of three months notice is required to close a road. This can be reduced to eight weeks as long as the appropriate notification has been given.
It is important that potential applicants discuss their proposal in detail with the Street Works Team at the earliest opportunity. We will help with advice on what you can and cannot do and with completing the application forms.
To make an application you should use the following documents:
- Temporary road closure request form (DOC, 136KB)
- Application for temporary road closure notes for guidance (DOC, 156 KB)
- Road closure guidance map (PDF, 119 KB)
- Road closure signing schedule (PDF, 199 KB)
The application should be emailed or sent along with the application fee, to the appropriate area team.