Temporary road closures

This applies only to highways maintained at public expense.
Temporary Road Closure Request Form (DOC, 100.5 KB)
Application for Temporary Road Closure Notes for Guidance (DOC, 137.5 KB)
Road Closure Guidance Map (pdf, 119  Kb)
Road Closure Signing Schedule (pdf, 199  Kb)

The application should be emailed or sent along with the application fee, to the appropriate Area Team. Also if you require any further information please contact us.


  • For an emergency closure £690 (0% VAT);
  • For a planned road closure £1408 (0% VAT);
  • Extensions to a temporary road closure are dealt with on a case by case basis.

Who can legally close the road?

We can authorise a road to be closed to allow road works to take place or to ensure safety at a special event. District and Borough councils can also authorise closures for street parties and fairs etc. The Police can close roads for public safety reasons.

Who can apply to close the road?

Warwickshire County Council and Statutory Undertakers – Gas, Water, Electricity etc can apply to close a road to carry out essential works on their apparatus.

Builders/Thatchers for maintenance and repairs – It is recommended that you employ a suitable company to undertake the road closure on your behalf.

Event organisers – Groups or organisations who wish to hold an event on the highway can request that a road is closed. Events can include:

  • Special Events (social, celebrations, carnivals and fairs, sporting – ie:cycling and filming)

Road closures are considered to be a last resort and will only be granted following a complete application and justification for closing a road.

Who do I need to ask?

If you wish to close the road to carry out road works or to hold an event, please contact the Street Works Team at the earliest opportunity. This is important to ensure that your event does not conflict with any planned roadworks or another event/road closure nearby. We will help with advice on what you can and cannot do and with completing the application forms, if necessary. Please also look at Please also look at roadworks.org

If your proposed works or event is not on the public highway (field or land adjacent to the road) but is likely to affect traffic movements on the public highway, you need to register your event.

Please contact the Street Works Team for advice and guidance.

How much notice is needed?

For planned work or events – A minimum of 3 months notice is required to close a road. This can be reduced to 8 weeks as long as the appropriate notification has been given.

It is important that potential applicants discuss the detail of the proposed activity with the Street Works Team at the earliest opportunity.

Emergencies – There will be occasions when a road needs to be closed with little or no notice by the Police, Warwickshire County Council or Utility.


All road closures will require a signed diversion route.

The type of Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) required depends on the type of activity. If road works or an event will take place on the highway, a road closure may be required. Where a road closure is considered to be the only option for the work or event to take place safely, a diversion route will need to be agreed, along with all appropriate diversion signing. If the event is off the highway there still may be a need for a TRO, for example to introduce a temporary one way system, parking restrictions or a speed limit. We will be able to give further advice on this.

Traffic management plans and temporary TROs will require adequate signing. If direction signs are required then these are normally supplied and erected by a professional signing arm of a motoring organisation or Chapter 8 Accredited companies offering a similar service, these have their own public liability insurance and the ability to erect correct signing. Event organisers are not permitted to erect their own direction signs to events on the public highway. The extent and position of signs will be agreed by us prior to erection.