What can you borrow?
Warwickshire Libraries have a wide range of:
- play scripts
- vocal scores
- chamber music parts
- tutorial books
- music for solo instruments from classical to pop
The largest collection of music scores, play scripts and books on all aspects of music and drama is held at Nuneaton library, in the music and drama collection. Specialist help and advice is available from the Music and drama librarian.
You can borrow single copies of music scores and play scripts free of charge for three weeks. However, we do not lend single copies from part-song sets, or individual parts from orchestral sets. You can check availability and reserve single copies using the online library catalogue, or at your local library. You can collect reservations from any Warwickshire library. If the item you want is not in stock you can request it using the inter-library loan service. Inter-library loans may be collected from and returned to one of our managed libraries only. You can visit the Music and drama collection at Nuneaton library during library opening hours.
Play sets, vocal sets, part-song sets and orchestral sets are available for loan to Warwickshire groups – see group membership.
If you represent a society or school in Warwickshire you may borrow sets of vocal scores, part-song sets, orchestral sets or play sets. If you represent a drama society based in an adjoining county, please inquire about group membership.
All other societies outside Warwickshire may borrow sets via the inter-library loan scheme only. Please apply to your local library authority.
How to set up group membership for performance sets
Groups and societies should nominate a named individual to act as the group’s contact and to take overall responsibility for any sets borrowed. The nominated individual should then contact the music and drama service via [email protected] or on 01926 412 168 to set up group membership. After registering your group please deal exclusively with the music and drama service.
How to borrow items for registered groups
Music sets and play sets should be requested by email or telephone from the music and drama service.
Music sets are loaned for up to nine months and play sets for up to three months. You can order music sets up to 12 months in advance with a minimum of at least six weeks notice. Early booking is advised as some sets are very popular.
We may also be able to supply sets or extra copies of sets by borrowing via the inter-library loan system. We will notify you if we are unable to source your request from elsewhere.
Performance set charges are payable on collection, with the sole exception of county music service owned orchestral sets (identifiable by the letters CMS on the catalogue record), for which groups will be invoiced later by the county music service.
Sets may be collected from and returned to one of our managed libraries only.
Terms and conditions of the loan of performance sets
- Performance set charges are payable on collection, with the sole exception of county music service-owned orchestral sets (identifiable by the letters CMS on the catalogue record), for which groups will be invoiced later by the county music service.
- The group’s named contact must take overall responsibility for the group’s library card where applicable, and for all sets borrowed, including their safekeeping, care and return, and for the replacement of any missing or damaged copies. The named contact should be aged 18 or over.
- The named contact should check all copies/parts on receipt and notify the music and drama service immediately of any problems or discrepancies identified, otherwise the group may be charged for any missing copies or parts.
- Inter-library loan sets which are cancelled or modified (for example, number of copies reduced) after dispatch from the lending library, will be charged for in full.
- The complete set must be returned by the end of the loan period. Late or incomplete return of sets can seriously inconvenience other borrowers. An additional charge may be levied for each set returned incomplete.
- Any markings to scores or play scripts should be made lightly, in soft pencil only, and must be erased before return. Any ‘numbering labels’ added by the society should be removed before return.
- Groups must provide new replacement copies of any copies/parts which they lose or damage, or in which they have made marks which cannot be removed. Replacement copies should be provided within one month of the return date. Where items are out of print standard replacement charges will apply. For orchestral sets where new parts are unavailable to buy individually, it may be necessary to replace the whole set.
- Crates in which sets are supplied are the property of Warwickshire Library and Information Service and must be returned together with the set.
- It is the responsibility of each group to ensure compliance with copyright and performing rights legislation.