A redevelopment of Leamington Spa’s rail station forecourt and station underpass is due to begin in February 2022. The work is part of a suite of improvements to boost infrastructure in Leamington Spa, creating an improved environment for visitors to the town before and after the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
The improvements are being made possible by a combination of funding from Warwickshire County Council, Warwick District Council and the Government’s Local Growth Fund through Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership. .
Warwickshire County Council is overseeing the scheme, with responsibility for delivery being passed to Network Rail.
The redevelopment will create an uplift to the station entrance and pedestrian underpass and promote the use of active travel and sustainable transport. The improvements will make it easier for train users to start and complete their journey on foot, cycle or by bus and taxi.
What improvements will be made to the station forecourt and underpass
- An enlarged and upgraded pedestrian area outside the main entrance and pedestrian underpass, including the installation of new benches
- Better pedestrian and cycle links within the station forecourt area
- Improved bus connectivity, with dedicated bus bays within the forecourt area and improved links to bus stops on Old Warwick Road
- New wayfinding signs within the forecourt area
- Resurfacing and repainted lines of the forecourt car park
- New lighting, renewal of paintwork in the pedestrian underpass
A number of complementary proposals will be delivered by key partners, including:
- a secure cycle hub facility close to the station main entrance, delivered by Chiltern Railways
- Warwick District Council will deliver upgraded wayfinding signs between the station and town centre, as well as leading the installation of the Royal Leamington Spa Colour Palette artwork along the length of the pedestrian underpass (subject to planning).
The key objectives of redeveloping the station forecourt and underpass are to:
- Create a public realm space at the station forecourt that provides a sense of wellbeing for station users as well as enhancing the listed station building,
- Create new waiting areas for buses and taxis to improve public transport connectivity,
- Improve existing pedestrian and cycle infrastructure at the station to encourage more walking and cycling,
- Refurbish the station underpass to provide a safe, attractive and informative route between the station and town centre, and
- Provide new wayfinding signs within the public realm space
Plans and visuals
Visuals of how the station forecourt and underpass could look are provided below. A plan drawing of the new layout is attached in the Documents & Downloads section.
Visualisation of the forecourt
Construction is due to commence in February 2022, with completion in time for the Commonwealth Games in July 2022.