Our landscape team pioneered the landscape character assessment process, which considered the unique and distinctive landscapes of Warwickshire and developed a methodology for landscape assessment of lowland areas.
The project culminated in the production of the Warwickshire Landscapes Guidelines, which map and describe the special characteristics of each of the county’s seven landscape character areas. The guidelines provide invaluable strategies for managing and enhancing these landscapes and underpin all our work in rural areas.
We are now furthering this work by carrying out landscape assessments at a much smaller – land cover parcel – scale. We have used this method to inform landscape sensitivity studies for housing development for Warwick District and Rugby Borough Councils’ local plans, as well as several neighbourhood plans.
This approach has proved to be robust at public inquiries, where we have acted as expert witnesses on landscape matters.
Scanned copies of the landscape guidelines and maps:
- Arden landscape guidelines (PDF, 11.3 MB)
- Arden landscape map (PDF, 7.5 MB)
- Avon Valley, Feldon, Cotswolds landscape guidelines (PDF, 6.5 MB)
- Avon Valley, Feldon, Cotswolds landscape map (PDF, 5.1 MB)
- Dunsmore landscape guidelines (PDF, 4.7 MB)
- Dunsmore landscape map (PDF, 2.5 MB)