Paying your Council Tax
Council tax payments are the responsibility of your local District or Borough Council.
- North Warwickshire Borough Council – Council Tax payment
- Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council – Council Tax payment
- Rugby Borough Councils – Council Tax payment
- Stratford-on-Avon District Council – Council Tax payment
- Warwick District Council – Council Tax payment
Council tax benefits
Council tax benefits are the responsibility of your local District or Borough Council.
- North Warwickshire Borough Council – Council Tax benefits
- Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council – Council Tax benefits
- Rugby Borough Council – Council Tax benefits
- Stratford-on-Avon District Council – Council Tax benefits
- Warwick District Council – Council Tax benefits
A single council tax bill is issued for each household. It is usually payable by the owner-occupier or tenant, but the owner will be responsible if:
- the property is empty;
- it is not anyone’s main home;
- the occupants are all under 18.
Your local borough/district councils, who collect the council tax, arrange for discounts, benefits and other appropriate reductions, and are the point of contact for any queries regarding these issues.
Property bands and charges
The level of council tax is related to the value of each property, as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs’ Valuation Office Agency. Each home sits in one of eight valuation bands, based on the value of property on the open market on 1 April 1991, assuming it was in reasonable state of repair, the property was sold freehold or in the case of a flat a 99 year lease. You can find out your home’s valuation band from the Valuation Office Agency.
Each band carries a fixed weighting, which determines the relative size of the council tax. The Bands are shown below, with illustrative tax figures based on our 2014/2015 Band D tax level of £1,201.14. The District or Borough Councils, Parish Councils and the Police Authority will also levy separate taxes. The average property value in Warwickshire is Band C.
In 2011/2012 our part of council tax will not increase.
Appeals against property banding should be made to the Valuation Office Agency. In the event of disputes, cases are adjudicated by a Valuation Tribunal.
2014/2015 Warwickshire County Council council tax bands and charges
|Band||Valuation at April 1991||Weighting||Charge|
|A||Up to £40,000||6/9||£800.760|
|B||£40,001 to £52,000||7/9||£934.220|
|C||£52,001 to £68,000||8/9||£1,067.68|
|D||£68,000 to £88,000||9/9||£1,201.14|
|E||£88,001 to £120,000||11/9||£1,468.06|
|F||£120,001 to £160,000||13/9||£1,734.98|
|G||£160,001 to £320,000||15/9||£2,001.90|