We have agreed on a constitution which sets out:
- how we operate
- how we make decisions
- who makes decisions
- how residents, businesses and other organisations can participate
- procedures to follow to make sure we are efficient, transparent and accountable to local people.
Some of these processes are required by the law, while others are a matter for us to choose.
Find out more
The Constitution is made up of 6 parts.
- Part 1 – articles – gives a broad overview of the constitution and the way we organise the council.
- Part 2 – responsibility for council functions – sets out the responsibilities for council decisions.
- Part 3 – standing orders – sets out the standing orders of the council
- Part 4 – codes of conduct – sets out the rules which govern the conduct of the council’s business and our decision-making process.
- Part 5 – Members’ Allowances Scheme – sets out the Members’ Allowances Scheme
- Part 6 – management structure – describes our management structure.