All childcare providers will have a SEND policy and should make reasonable adjustments to care for a child or young person with SEND. Childcare providers must also have some form of SEND training.

You may need to consider your child’s medical needs or look for a childcare provider with specialist training. You will need to think about whether your child’s carer will need specialist training or equipment. Often carers need specific training to give medication. This will require time to do the training and a written plan before your child starts.

If your doctor, nurse or health visitor has shown you how to give medication to your child, you can ask the same person to give this training to your child’s new carer.

Some children may need specialist equipment, such as specialist seating, to attend nursery. Time will be needed to put equipment in place, plan, and train staff before your child starts nursery.