Being a carer

If you provide regular unpaid emotional or physical support to a friend, neighbour, family member or member of the community, you are a carer. Your age and the range of support you give do not matter.

Your health and wellbeing are important – you deserve a life outside of caring. The Carer's Wellbeing Service can provide information and advice about this. 

Types of support

You may qualify for free support including:

  • emotional support (one-to-one or group)
  • social activities and discussion groups
  • opportunities to meet other carers with similar caring roles
  • specialist information and support
  • advice on getting equipment or aids for the person you care for (for example telecare)
  • advice on accessing statutory assessment and support

Hubs and support groups within Warwickshire

Financial support

You may qualify for a one-off or ongoing payment to help you have a fulfilling life outside of caring. These are called direct payments.

Mental health support

You can get free and confidential help from the Mental Health Carer’s Service.

Carer’s assessment

If you need support to be a carer you can have a carer’s assessment – even if the person you care for doesn’t have eligible needs. You can get an assessment if you do not live in Warwickshire but the person you care for does.

Getting an assessment

Young carers

If you are under 18 you will need to contact the Warwickshire Young Carers’ Project to arrange an assessment.

Adult carers

If you are an adult caring for an adult, you will need to have a wellbeing check before being assessed. Please contact the Warwickshire Carer Wellbeing Service. Alternatively, you can request an assessment by calling: 01926 410410

If you are an adult caring for someone aged 0-25, you can ask your social worker for a carer’s assessment.

Before your assessment it will be useful to think about:

  • how you would describe your caring role
  • if you look after anyone else, for example, family, children
  • maintaining a habitable home to live in
  • your ability to go shopping and prepare meals for yourself and your family
  • developing and maintaining family or other significant personal relationships
  • any affects becoming a carer could have on your job, training, education or volunteering
  • if you have any leisure time
  • other support available to you or the person you care for

After the assessment, a support plan will be put together.


You won’t be charged for services provided directly to you.

Services such as respite or breaks for carers are subject to social care charges. If the person you care for uses one of these services they will be charged on their ability to pay.

Support for the person you care for

There are some services for the person that you care for so that you can have a break, including:

  • personal care
  • day opportunities outside the home
  • providing replacement care at home – known as a ‘sitting service’
  • longer periods of respite care in a residential home
  • equipment and/or assistive technology – for example, telecare
  • home adaptations that may be available to make the home a safer and more accessible place to live.
  • advice from occupational therapists so you can reduce the time you spend caring
  • supported housing

Organisations that can help

Financial support

Financial support available

Flexible working

Flexible working and your rights

Carer’s emergency card

The carer’s emergency card identifies you as a carer should you be involved in an emergency. There is space on the back of the card for you to record up to three contacts. If you don’t have anyone to write on the back of the card, you can leave it blank as there is a number already on the card.

To apply for a card please contact the Carer Wellbeing Service.