If you are an adult caring for someone aged 0-25 who has SEND, you can request a carer’s assessment through the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH), or ask your social worker if you have one. If you have requested a social care assessment for your child or children with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) you may wish to request a carer’s assessment at the same time.
Before your assessment it will be useful to think about:
- how you would describe your caring role
- if you look after anyone else, for example, family, children
- maintaining a habitable home to live in
- your ability to go shopping and prepare meals for yourself and your family
- developing and maintaining family or other significant personal relationships
- any affects becoming a carer could have on your job, training, education or volunteering
- if you have any leisure time
- other support available to you or the person you care for
After the assessment, a support plan will be put together.